Video Game / suteF
Produced by indie videogame developer Rottentater
is a puzzle game with an unsettling atmosphere and an interesting mechanic: the levels wrap around themselves, allowing to fall through a hole and reappearing at the top of the screen. Oh, and your enemy is, obviously, a Fetus Terrible
, the sequel, expands the abilities of the player character: he can also jump, grab ledges, and throw a grappling hook to reach further places, or pull crates towards himself. Accordingly, levels are more varied and complex. Get it here.
Tropes applying to suteF:
- All There in the Manual: The background of the story is mostly explained on the site.
- Alphabetical Theme Naming: The names of the chapters are in alphabetical order. Awake, Beginning, Captivity, Duffle, the missing chapter E, and Fetus.
- Alternate Self
- Blood from the Mouth
- Bottomless Pits: With the Wrap Around mechanic, you reappear at the top of the screen and continue falling until you restart the level (or when something changes.)
- Camera Abuse: Everytime you change levels, the screen fills with static. Fitting, since you have to reach a giant TV screen filled with static to do that. Subverted when you don't use the screens; for example, a white flash when the level becomes snowy, and a red one when you access the Void Rims.
- Crate Expectations
- Driven to Suicide: You see a few doing this, after holding their head in panic.
- Eldritch Location: The entire game is played in different parts of the "Abyss": a normal part of it, the external limit of the Abyss (Abyssal Shell), its center (Playland), a zone between the Abyss and Reality (Chaos), somewhere outside both of them (Void), and the border of Chaos (The Edge).
- Endless Corridor: During chapter C, you have a broken leg. You begin to bleed out while walking down the corridor.
- Eye Scream
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Orbis/Catfish, from chapter A. Its background is explained in the site.
- Gravity Screw: Some pads reverse gravity for whatever steps on them, be it crates or yourself.
- Hannibal Lecture
- Hope Spot: at least twice.
- Mind Screw
- Missing Episode: Chapter E. Each chapter has a name started with the same name as the Chapter, so what's Chapter E's? Escape.
- One-Winged Angel: Fetus cannot be killed, and injuring him just makes him grow stronger each time.
- Secret Level: Void Rims. You need to reach spots out of the normal path to access them. All of them are hard to complete.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!
- Wrap Around