Super Adventure Rockman
is a Japan-only FMV game in the Mega Man
franchise, specifically Mega Man (Classic)
. It was released for the Sega Saturn
Dr. Wily has uncovered an ancient alien supercomputer, Ra Moon, hidden in the ruins of the Amazon. He uses it to revive his various Robot Masters from Mega Man 2
and Mega Man 3
. The ruins are capable of causing almost all of the machinery and electricity in the world, including robots, to shut down. Roll is quickly affected, so Dr. Light immunizes Mega Man and his brothers and sends them to stop Dr. Wily before it's too late.
Notably darker and edgier than the rest of the classic series, it was disowned by Keiji Inafune and Capcom as a whole, though it did get an adaptation in Archie Comics' Mega Man
It's also notable for being one of the very
few times that Dr. Wily isn't the final boss.
This game contains examples of:
- Anti-Villain: Wood Man.
- Apocalypse How: Ra Moon's ultimate goal is pulling a Class 6 on Earth.
- Big Bad: Wily. It's actually Ra Moon.
- Big Damn Heroes: If you lose against some of the Robot Masters, you will be saved and healed by one of the Mega Man 1 Robot Masters, such as Guts Man rescuing Mega Man should he lose to Heat Man, or Cut Man flying in on Rush Jet to catch Mega Man before he falls into a vat of acid.
- Canon Discontinuity: This game was disowned by Keiji Inafune and Capcom as a whole.
- Choose Your Own Adventure: Outside of battle, the game plays like this.
- Darker and Edgier: Roll is in a state of near death for the whole game, several humans are shown being killed, if you get a standard Game Over Roll does die, and if you lose to the final boss, everyone dies.
- First-Person Shooter: The battle scenes are this, similar to Yoshi's Safari.
- Full Motion Video
- Heel-Face Turn: Quick Man.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Some of the Robot Masters do this, and Mega Man himself nearly does in the finale.
- Ill Girl: Roll, to the point of near-death.
- Killed Off for Real: Quick Man, to the point of getting a burial scene.
- Nonstandard Game Over: Refusing to fight Wood Man and losing to the final boss give different Game Over scenes.
- Taking the Bullet: Quick Man takes one of Shadow Man's blades and dies.
- Temple of Doom