is a line of Vertical Scrolling Shooters
by Hudson Soft
. The series started in the 1980s as a Spiritual Successor
's Star Force
. The games are characterized by their distinct power-up weapons.
The games in this series include:
- Star Soldier (1986, NES/MSX; remade in 2003 for Gamecube/PS2/PSP)
- Super Star Soldier (1990, TurboGrafx-16) - developed by Kaneko
- Final Soldier (1991, TurboGrafx-16)
- Soldier Blade (1992, TurboGrafx-16)
- Star Parodier (1995, Turbo CD) - Cute 'em Up featuring Bomberman, developed by Kaneko
- Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (1997, Nintendo 64)
- Star Soldier R (2008, WiiWare) - timed play only
A Hudson Soft
game that could be considered as a spinoff is Hector '87
, also known as Starship Hector
. It differs from all other Star Soldier
games by being set on Earth and scrolling horizontally in its even-numbered stages, but was the first game to feature the 2-minute and 5-minute modes found in the later Star Soldier
games.Needs Wiki Magic Love
Tropes appearing in these games:
- Awesome, but Impractical: In Vanishing Earth, the green ship. How cool is it that its Ex-Arms consist of shooting green electricity everywhere, and throwing a freakin' stream of green fire towards the enemy? Problem is, it's the slowest ship, it's Rolling is the shortest, and its main weapon, while it covers pretty much everything in the horizontal field in front of you, is as a result the weakest one since all its damage is spread out rather than focused.
- Boss Rush: Boss On Parade in the remake for PSP
- Content Warning: Presumably in order to deter It's Short, so It Sucks , the purchase page for Star Soldier R gives you a warning in red text that the game only features 2- and 5-minute modes.
- Scoring Points: The main campaign modes have scoring systems. Then there's the "Caravan" modes—2- and 5-minute modes where you fly through a unique stage and destroy as many enemies and tiles as you can to earn points.
- Self Plagiarism: The Virtual Boy game Vertical Force (also developed by Hudson Soft) is very similar to the original game despite not being nominally part of the series.
- Timed Mission: The Caravan modes.