Video Game / Sly Spy
, alias Secret Agent
, is a 1989 action Arcade Game
by Data East
inspired by popular works of Spy Fiction
. The player takes control of an agent with a three-digit code name, who shoots through nine stages to save his country (the U.S.A., not
England) from the terroristic menace known as the Council for World Domination.
Conversions of the game for the Amiga
, Atari ST
, Commodore 64
, Amstrad CPC
and ZX Spectrum
were developed by Software Creations and released by Ocean Software.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Artificial Limbs: The boss of the third level is a Giant Mook with two metal arms.
- Boss Rush: The climb up to the Final Boss recapitulates every previous Boss Battle that wasn't fought underwater or in a vehicle.
- Expy: Unsurprisingly, some of the bosses are this, most notably the third boss (who is a dead ringer for Jaws), and the sixth (who looks like Oddjob). Of course, the main character is an unnamed American Expy of James Bond himself.
- Free-Fall Fight: The first stage begins with the protagonist shooting Mooks skydiving over Washington, D.C.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: The game begins by asking the player to enter a three-digit "security clearance code" which then becomes the agent's code name. Inputting "0-0-7" is allowed.
- IKEA Weaponry: The game has you collecting five parts of the "Golden Gun" (get it?).
- Jet Pack: Some enemies fly in on jetpack, and when killed will sometimes drop theirs for you to use.
- Monumental Battle: The first stage involves a firefight with terrorists in front of the Lincoln Memorial.
- Oh Crap!: The final boss has this after you break through his barrier while a spiked ceiling is lowering towards you.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Beat the game and you'll be treated to a scene of the hero driving around with a accompaniment of beautiful women. When you put in your initials and the high score table pops up, a female voice will moan, "Oh, Sly!"
- Throw a Barrel at It: Some Giant Mooks carry and throw barrels.
- Underground Level: The sixth level is in a cavern leading to an underground hideout.
- Under the Sea: The protagonist dons a scuba suit to go underwater for the fourth and seventh stages, which feature Thunderball-style harpoon combat.
- Weaponized Headgear: An Oddjob-like boss attacks by tossing his hat like a boomerang.
- Wolfpack Boss: The first Boss Battle is nothing but a huge mob of mooks that attack you individually with punches, guns or bombs. The fifth boss does nothing but send a bunch of tigers to charge you from both sides of the screen.