Video Game: Shufflepuck Café
A High Concept
game from The Eighties
, the concept being What if you could play air hockey in the Star Wars cantina?
Originally for Apple Macintosh
; ported to NES
and all the major computers of its day.
Contains examples of...
- Absolute Cleavage — Princess Bejin.
- The Alcoholic — Lexan takes swigs throughout the game, becomes increasingly uncoordinated, and passes out at the end whether he wins or not.
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels — Biff Raunch is a burly, grizzled member of the Heaven's Devils Galacticycle Club.
- All There in the Manual/Excuse Plot — You're a traveling salesman whose spaceship broke down, and you've come to the café looking for a phone. The patrons won't let you by until you've bested them all in a Shufflepuck tournament.
- And Starring — On the title screen, two developers' names exchange positions to affirm their equal importance.
- Armchair Military — Eneg styles himself as a revolutionary general, but he really just owns the costume.
- Badass Bandolier — In the Mac version, Vinnie has one that holds what look like beer bottles.
- Camera Abuse — Goals scored on the player appear to smash into the glass of the screen...whereas goals scored on the other player crack an invisible plane on the far side of the court.
- The Computer Shall Taunt You — If he wins, Vinnie sticks out his tongue with a "nyah-nyah" noise.
- Ditto Fighter — Nerual matches your moves.
- Emotionless Girl — Aside from a wink and a tiny smile when things go her way, Bejin remains completely impassive.
- The Faceless — Nerual initially presents as this. Inside the cloak is actually a midget Cyclops.
- Failure Is the Only Option — Per the manual, "if you lose you'll earn their contempt. Win, and you'll earn their resentment."
- Frictionless Ice — You can hit the puck exactly sideways and watch it bounce back and forth forever without losing momentum.
- Meaningful Name — Visine Orb is only visible from the eyes up.
- Sdrawkcab Name — Eneg Doowtrop and Nerual Ttoille, after two of the developers.
- Telekinesis — How Bejin serves the puck.
- Training Dummy — Robot bartender DC3 can be configured for any level of difficulty.
- The Unintelligible — DC3 speaks in R2D2 noises.
- Vaporware — The Apple IIGS port shown on the box was all but complete, only to be canceled (supposedly because Broderbund found the load times unacceptable). This didn't stop a leaked copy from gaining a reputation as one of the platform's best games.
- Walking Shirtless Scene — Biff.