Video Game / Shining Tears
is a 2004 video game for the PlayStation 2
. It's part of the Shining Series
, the first one for PS2, and used the Action RPG
format rather than the turn-based one. It's also released in English, thankfully.
The game centers around an amnesiac boy named Xion, who's found washed up on the shore by the elf princess
Elwyn in front of the Heroes Hearth inn. On his hand is a pair of rings called Dragon Rings, if equipped in two people, they grant great power. On the other hand, that also changes Xion's personality. He's an insecure wimp when no one's wearing the ring, he's a serene, noble hero if his pair has a dark soul, and he's a taunting battle crazed maniac when his pair has a light soul. As he tries to uncover his memories, he ends up joining the newly formed mercenary group Weiss Ritter, alongside Elwyn, Doctor Pios; who nursed him back to health; Priestess
Ryuna, (literal) Dragon knight/guardian Lazarus, Ice witch/Princess of Runevale Ira
Blanc Neige Gardenias
, Wolfkin merc boss Volg, and Cat Girl Ninja
Mao, against the Runegeist kingdom who sought to subjugate the whole land. They are later on joined by a wandering swordsman named Keiner, actually Blanc Neige's long lost brother,
and an elvish bard, one of the past heroes of the age, named Cupido.
While there is an English version and voice acting existed, they're rather minimal while the Japanese version has voice acting in cutscenes
, but otherwise it is still a solid game on its own. It also has an anime or sorts in Shining Tears X Wind
, crossing over with the next game, Shining Wind
Tropes associated with Shining Tears
- Aloof Big Brother: Keiner for Blanc Neige. They're ALSO Aloof Elder Siblings for Galahad.
- An Ice Person: Blanc Neige. Not only with her Meaningful Name, the first thing she introduces herself as is "Ice Witch".
- Badass Crew: The Weissritter, of course.
- Blood Knight: Dark!Xion is a bit too wee happy about fighting and chopping up his enemies.
- Cain and Abel: At first it sets up like this for Keiner (Cain) and Blanc Neige (Abel). But then, they are the Abels compared to their psycho little brother Galahad.
- Captain Ersatz: Keiner looks like a dead-ringer to K', minus sunglasses, plus katana.
- Cat Girl, Ninja: Mao
- Dark Is Not Evil: Those with Dark souls aren't evil people, they are just pretty aloof.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Blanc Neige is at first very standoffish and aloof, but once her past and relations are revealed, she shows signs of defrosting and warms up to the others, sorta. If you get her ending, she'll give her very first smile.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Elwyn is Elven princess, but then we find out that Blanc Neige is Runevale's princess. Then guess what? Mao is also the princess of Bestia.
- Evil Prince: Prince Galahad of Rune Geist is cackling mad and starts the whole things, although things are far more complex than it eventually seems...
- Face–Heel Turn: Not in a traditional sense, but Lazarus starts out with a Light soul, but after he returns from his Heroic Sacrifice, he has a Dark soul. Considering what 'dark' here entails, it wasn't so bad.
- Fallen Princess: As it turns out, Blanc Neige WAS the Princess of Runevale before Galahad took over and turns the kingdom into Runegeist, forcing her to enter the life of a common ice witch for hire, and making her overall bitter. Her brother Keiner is also a male version, ending up in a life of a wanderer.
- Full-Name Basis: In the original Japanese, they always refer Blanc Neige with full name, while in the English version, she's just called 'Neige'. Subverted later that her REAL full name is Ira Blanc Neige Gardenias, and she's never called with such full name on regular basis.
- Heel–Face Turn: Also again, once Mao discovers her Princess lineage, she goes from Dark soul to Light soul. Also, as of the normal one, Keiner is at first the enemy, then he later joins you.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Xion and his broadswords. The one who wields katana is Keiner.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Lazarus eventually sacrifices himself in a huge explosion to save the party from the masked mage. He got better though.
- Lady of Black Magic: Blanc Neige, a cold, intelligent ice sorceress and Princess of Runevale Ira.
- Meaningful Name: So any wonders someone named Blanc Neige ("Snow White" for French) is going to be your local ice mage?
- Mighty Glacier: Lazarus moves very slowly. But he hits like a truck.
- Moses in the Bulrushes: The game starts with Elwyn finding an unconscious Xion stranded in the shores near Heroes Hearth inn.
- Non-Indicative Name: "Heroes Hearth" inn. It's just a name of an inn, but Ryuna at first thought it's a place where heroes gather, so she came expecting to find heroes. In a way, she did find 'heroes' to help her there regardless.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Lazarus. A tanking, axe-wielding, and all around noble dragon.
- Overly Long Name: Ira Blanc Neige Gardenias.
- Relationship Values:
- There are 8 endings, and it's decided by who do you take to battle the most.
- Also, in one mission, the one closest to you will be kidnapped by monsters. It's a good indication on what your ending will be.
- Split Personality: Xion and the effects of Twin Dragon Rings. He has about 3 personalities.