"Been wandering 'round
Lost in this night...
Like a stranger, I walk alone,
Through a cold and empty world...
Where the rain whispers to my heart,
And the moonlight shows me the way..."Developed by SCE Japan Studio, rain is a Sony PlayStation 3 exclusive Action-Adventure title released on the Play Station Network in the fall of 2013. A nameless boy, upon seeing the silhouette of a girl being chased by an unknown entity, wanders out into the rain of the city until he begins turning invisible like her. The boy discovers various other transparent creatures roaming around town, hostile to the girl and him. He must find a way to her among the endless rain, walking in a newly-discovered world only revealed by it.The uniqueness of rain is the setting itself: the boy can only be seen while standing in pouring rain, as is the girl and the mysterious creatures. By walking towards shelter, players will only see the boy's footprints, so it's up to them to utilize the boy's visibility in the rain to navigate the city, solve puzzles and evade the creatures.Compare Lost In Shadow, except it uses a Living Shadow in place of rain.
rain provides examples of the following:
- All Just a Dream: It's implied both protagonists are having a shared fever dream.
- Another Dimension: The premise for Chapters 7 and 8
- Benevolent Architecture: At least in the "real world"
- Boy Meets Girl
- Cinematic Platform Game
- Controllable Helplessness: Averted; despite the Unknown catching up to the boy at certain points in the game, the girl will invariably ensure he gets around by giving him an additional platform to reach higher positions and escape it.
- Dark World: If the mysterious invisible creatures don't clue players in, the fact that there's only two major sources of light (the moon and a single house) in Chapters 7 and 8 should.
- Determinator: The Unknown; even though it's trapped in a seemingly inescapable cage, it manages to get out and continue hunting the boy and girl.
- Escort Mission
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: During the ending.
- Kid Hero
- Implacable Man: The Unknown. The only reason why it's not The Juggernaut full-out is that it can be blocked by strong barricades.
- Mysterious Waif: Played with - the boy (including the player) assumes the girl is this trope. Once they get past the circus, the girl is just an Ill Girl like the boy is.
- The Nameless, No Name Given: The boy and girl are simply called as is; this extends to the creatures, with the exception of the Unknown.
- Scenery Porn: Combined with When It Rains, It Pours with the local architecture, this is bound to occur.
- Take My Hand
- Videogame Caring Potential: Invoked via any time the girl is struck down by the creatures or the Unknown, it's an automatic game over.
- Weakened by the Light: The only thing that can harm and kill the Unknown
- When It Rains, It Pours: The crux of the gameplay
- X Meets Y: Lost In Shadow meets ICO.