Video Game / Morph X
Morphx is a third person shooter videogame for the Xbox 360, developed by Russian studio Buka Entertainment, published by 505 Games in Europe and North America and was released in 2010.
In 2008, Earth was invaded by the alien swarm. Within the year, they had complete control of earth and had wiped out most of mankind. During 2009, the Swarm directed it's effort to locate and wipe out the few remaining pockets of resistance. The year is now 2011, and mankind is still fighting to survive. Meanwhile, sightings of strange humanoid creatures are reported, their purpose unknown. Some believe they are the products of experiments the swarm has done on humans, while some believe it's the first of a new generation of swarm adapted to life on Earth.
2012, one of mankinds last bastions dubbed "The Laboratory", resides beneath the ruins of Moscow. There the survivors work tiredlessly to stop this new threat.
You wake up in an alien hive, with no memory of how you got there. Swarm creatures attack you on sight, as do the human soldiers you come across, while calling you an infiltrator. With no choice but to kill to survive, you set out to find out what you are and what your purpose is.
Morphx provides examples of:
- Alien Invasion
- Arm Cannon: Halfway through the game, your human firearms are replaced by an organic one of these.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Parasite swarm creatures look like caterpillars.
- Bizarre Alien Biology
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Hand held melee weapons in turn are replaced by blades growing from your arms.
- Bug War
- Crapsack World: Billions of humans dead, survivors hidding underground, aliens roam all over the surface, which has been rendered uninhabitable by radiation. Definitely not a nice world to live in.
- Body Horror: Over the course of the game, you become more and more alien in appearance, as you gains new abilities.
- Booby Trap: Favored strategy by the survivors to keep the Swarm at bay.
- Bull Fight Boss: The Annihilator swarm creature, which inexplicably looks like a a rhino with added armored plates, a red glowing belly and with stag beetle mandibles.
- Gatling Good: Courtesy of the Terminator swarm creature.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: You are an infiltrator, created by the swarm overmind to find human hideouts and kill all survivors. A freak mutation resulted in him keeping his humanity though, and with his alien powers, he managed to win a decisive victory against the swarm
- Hive Mind: The swarm.
- Horde of Alien Locusts
- Humanoid Aliens You're one.
- Insectoid Aliens: The Parasite, Detector and Gunner Swarm creatures.
- Mana Meter: For using your alien abilities. Replenished by absorbing the biomass of defeated swarm creatures.
- Mini-Game: Ability upgrading takes the form of a puzzle minigame, where you connect red and green genes with differently shaped connectors (Which you get more of from collectibles hidden throughout the levels) to activate them. The amount of activated genes of each kind determined what property of an ability is enhanced, such as red for health and green for energy. These genetic puzzles can be re-arranged at any time, which is helpful when you acquire more connectors, thus allowing you to connect more genes to further enhance your abilities.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: See Hoist by his own petard.
- Shout-Out: The minigun wielding Terminator creature can be nothing but a shoutout to Terminator.
- Unstoppable Rage: One of your alien abilities.