Video Game: Haunted Halls
A collection of hidden object games, focusing around the sanitarium director Dr. Blackmore and his experiments into fears and phobias. The games were released by Big Fish Games, the company responsible for Stray Souls Dollhouse Story
and the Vampire Saga
trilogy, and created by ERS.
There are currently four games in the series: Green Hills Sanitarium
, Fears From Childhood
, Revenge Of Dr. Blackmore
and Nightmare Dwellers
The series received critical acclaim; users of Gamezebo gave it rave reviews, it has 8.8 scores on Big Fish's website, and the first game has a 9.6 on Jayisgames note Needs Wiki Magic Love
Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium contains examples of:
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Inverted. To stop Fitzpatrick from telling everyone about the fear machine, Blackmore manipulated his being a workaholic and hooked him up to the fear machine, even faking a medical chart.
- Beautiful All Along: How to free Katherine Lane, by creating a make-shift mirror and giving her a red dress.
- Claustrophobia: Richard Spike's fear, to the point that he's painted doors on all parts of the elevator he's trapped in.
- Featureless Protagonist: The main character's a girl. That's all we know about her.
- Mind Screw: There's a body trapped in the floor, massive tentacles, a space probe, body parts used as keys for doors, a fire plan that involves suicide, and random Cthulhu imagery. Saimon's room is pretty freaky too.
- Mood Whiplash: Pointed by the main character. They find themselves in a beautiful field with a picnic...then they see a gallows in the background.
- Room Full of Crazy: Each room is associated with a character's fear.
- Name's the Same: John Smith and John Ocean.
- Surreal Horror: See Mind Screw. As noted in the description, this definitely worked out in its favour.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: A lot of them.
- John Ocean: Hydrophobia.
- Sander Rivera: Arachnophobia.
- Katherine Lane: Disassociation note
- Merry Chain: Resurfacing nightmares of evil toys.
- Reinold Crass: Loss of his stamp collection.
- Saimon Saimons: Paranoia of people watching him.
- Anthony Miller: Agoraphobia.
- Richard Spike: Claustrophobia.
- James Patrick Fitzpatrick: Failed calculations and guilt.
- John Smith: Nuclear war.
And Just for Fun
, here's some dreamcasting for a hypothetical movie.
Warning! That link contains spoilers!
Haunted Halls: Fears From Childhood contains examples of:
Haunted Halls: Revenge Of Dr. Blackmore contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: The bonus chapter has Tim and the main character finally reuniting and they rescue all of the people Dr. Blackmore kidnapped, but Dr. Blackmore still escapes.
- The Bully: Billy Bully, leader of a biker gang who used to pick on Blackmore as a kid.
- The X of Y
Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream: The ending of the game suggests this...until you find that Dr. Blackmore's alive and is driving you off to who knows where. The bonus chapter does this again when you wake up at the gates of the mansion and your partner wakes you up.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: The main character uses special goggles to decode ancient runes.
- Macguffin: The Morpheus Skull