Video Game: Forbidden Arms
is an online
2D action hack-and-slash Flash
game developed by God See D
A mysterious warrior named Ichirou has been disturbed from his deep stasis by ninjas. In his possession lies the legendary forbidden sword Mumei. Although this grants him immense powers, it comes at the cost of draining blood out of its enemies and if not satisfied, its user. To satisfy the sword’s thirst, he must slay those aforementioned ninjas and find out why he was woken up in the first place.
This game can be played at here
Forbidden Arms provides examples of:
- Artifact of Death: The titular legendary forbidden sword, Mumei, wielded by Ichirou. Even though this sword grants godlike powers, it drinks the blood out of its enemies, and if Ichirou runs out of BP, from himself.
- Blood Magic: Most of Ichirou's special abilities use up a varying part of his BP (Bloodlust Pool). So, managing them and the sword's blood drain properties is crucial to survival. The Bloodlust Aura skill branch emphasizes this.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The difficulty of the ninjas and demons can be determined by the color of their robes as well as what weapon they have equipped. In ascending order of threat, they are Black -> Green -> Blue -> Red -> Black with red eyes.
- Cutscene Power to the Max: Ichirou takes dozens of sword slashes (after he's already pretty beaten up) during the "A Gaping Void" cutscene, even though he would never be able to survive that in normal gameplay.
- Demon Slaying: What Ichirou is revealed to be at the end of the game.
- Empathic Weapon: Ichirou can speak with his sword Mumei (and vice versa). This is also revealed to be case with Onika and her demonforged weapon "Reika".
- Everything's Better with Samurai: Ichirou, part of a long line of samurai.
- Flash Step: Blink Shift. It allows Ichirou to teleport to any part of the screen, as well as increasing his chance to do critical hits. It can also be used when on cooldown, for high BP cost.
- Giant Spider: The second boss is one. The regular spiders as well (they are about the size of a man) count as well.
- Glass Cannon: Ichirou, with the asset of Mumei, is capable of slaying dozens of enemies quite easily from the very start of the game. However, he can barely take more than a few hits without substantial upgrades.
- High-Pressure Blood: Everyone seems to suffer from this condition. Which is great for Ichirou's sake.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: The ninjas present here appear to focus more on crafty combat maneuvers, projectiles, and teleportation rather than stealth.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: Three of them (in order from easiest to hardest) with the following descriptions:
- "The Slayer". Wish to just enjoy the game and the slaughter? This game mode is for you!
- "The Hero". Do you desire a challenging experience? Take this path, instead.
- "The Fool". Are you a fool? Insane? Suicidal? A cheater? Or a gamer god? Prove any of it in this mode.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: Many of the foes Ichirou faces are ninjas.
- Just Eat Gilligan: Ichirou needs a constant flow of enemy blood around him to satisfy his demonic sword, lest Mumei start taking blood from him. Thus, the only thing you need to do to kill him is to simply stay away. Instead of implementing this simple solution, the enemies of the game try to Zerg Rush a man who's only alive because of constant combat.
- Kamehame Hadoken: The Soul Tempest is a crescent of Soul Power that knocks enemies down and damages them as well.
- Katanas Are Just Better: What other weapon could Mumei be?
- Lightning Bruiser: The Blue Ogre (the first boss) takes a lot of hits to go down, can take a quarter of the player's health in one hit, and can practically Flash Step to the player's location. Ichirou becomes this when engulfed in his Void Aura, with invulnerability complementing his teleportation, Not Quite Flight, and energy attacks.
- Power Glows: Whoever wields the powerful Mumei will glow either red, blue, or purple depending on whether they are using Bloodlust, Inverse, or Void Aura.
- Purpleis Powerful: Ichirou's Super Mode gives him a purple aura.
- Second Hour Superpower: The Soul Tempest is given early on in the game.
- Soul Power:
- Souls (denoted in-game as soul points) are used as a currency in this game. They are obtained by slaying enemies.
- The Soul Tempest skill branch emphasizes this type of power.
- Super Mode: The Void Tempest skill allows Ichirou to become invulnerable, have a greater critical hit chance, and unlimited usage of all Soul Tempest, Brandish Art Sword Skills, and Blink Shift abilities. It drains him of BP though, and no BP can be regained while in this state.
- Unique Protagonist Asset: The sword Mumei, in the hands of Ichirou.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: The first boss, the Blue Ogre. Up to that point, the ninjas can be dispatched without too much worrying about dodging, proper comboing, and healing. But, he himself is a surprise challenge, due to his relatively high damaging attacks as well as high attack range. He can easily knock down Ichirou if the player isn't careful, and knock off a ton of his health rather quickly. At this point, it's expected that the player has mastered Ichirou's Inverse Aura, dodging, and using combos and moves at the right time.