Video Game: Doctor Who: Return to Earth
A 2010 Doctor Who video game for the Nintendo Wii, produced by Asylum Entertainment under official licence from The BBC.The story goes that Earth in the 26th century has been attacked by vicious solar storms, and all the inhabitants of the planet were evacuated in cryogenic suspension aboard several escape craft that were set to return after the danger has passed. Flash forward to the time of the return, and the SS Lucy Gray is the first ship to make it back to Earth. However, she has been boarded by Daleks and Cybermen, who wish to use it as the first foothold on a takeover of the planet. Enter the TARDIS: it's up to the eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond (controlled by the player) to stop the invasion attempt and see to it that the ship's human occupants make it back to Mother Earth safely.It is also a Multi-Platform game, being produced alongside the Nintendo DS title Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth.
This game provides examples of:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Most of the game is spent switching back and forth between Amy and the Doctor.
- Crouch and Prone: A necessary gameplay mechanic in a Stealth-Based Game like this. You'll be doing it a lot.
- Escape Sequence: The game starts with one, with Amy Pond running across a spaceship hull while avoiding the Stuff Blowing Up around her.
- Locked Door: Every single area visited aboard the Lucy Gray has one as the Level Goal.
- Magical Mystery Doors: The entire game is this, arguably.
- Solve the Soup Cans: The between level segments involve rolling a small ball along a series of mazes while trying to avoid the obstacles.
- Stealth-Based Game: Most of the game is actually spent avoiding enemies. The nodes you get the power crystals from also disappear into the floor unless you manage to sneak up on them from behind.
- Video Game Setpiece: Usually whenever a monster arrives into the scene.