Video Game: Deus Ex The Fall
Are You Ready To Take The Fall?
Deus Ex: The Fall, an Android, iOS and PC game, is a sequel to the novel The Icarus Effect
, and a spin-off to the 2011 game Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
During the six months in which Adam Jensen from Human Revolution
was in rehab after the attack on Sarif Industries, The Fall
focuses on the main character from the Icarus Effect
novel, Ben Saxon. In March 2014, the game was re-released on PC... poorly
This game provides examples of:
- Ancient Conspiracy: The Illuminati from Human Revolution, and Icarus Effect.
- Arbitrary Gun Power: Weapons in the game are weak unless you get a headshot or upgrade them. Even then, its better to save up for the alternate weapons in the shop and upgrade those, as they can be upgraded further than the default.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: The armor-piercing mod for the pistol returns.
- Big Bad: Jaron Namir
- Booze-Based Buff: Much like in the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution.
- Boring but Practical: Keeping in with the Deus Ex tradition, the pistol. Most enemies carry one for most of the game for free ammo, and ammo is cheaper than the rifle ammo if one needs to buy it.
- Cliff Hanger: The game ends on one, as it was intended to be released episodically. As there has been no word from the developer in over a year regarding a part 2, and given the rather sketchy history of episodic gaming (especially for First Person Shooters), it doesn't seem like there's going to be a resolution any time soon.
- Coolest Club Ever: Nightshades club in Panama.
- Cosmetically Advanced Prequel: Compared to Deus Ex, set 25 years later.
- Cyber Punk
- Dummied Out: Texture files hinting towards a New York City level, a Lower Hengsha level, and an Australia level. Since this game has been pitched to be episodic, it is unknown at the time of writing if it is cut content, or just textures in place for future installments. An album can be seen here.
- Elite Mooks: Belltower Spec Ops troopers appear as the opposition in the final section of the game. These include Belltower's augmented Elite Mooks, the Sneakers and Ogres.
- Everybody Smokes: Deconstructed, a line of news will mention that lung cancer is now on the rise.
- Interface Screw: Neuropozyne withdrawals will do this to Ben.
- Karma Houdini: It's implied a sequel is going to be made, but Jaron Namir and Sam Duarte get off scott-free. Subverted in the case of Namir, since you can kill him in Human Revolution.
- Made of Iron: Even basic enemies can shrug off anything thats not a headshot. Including a point blank blast with a shotgun. This often results in being horribly murdered because the NPCs are able to shrug off damage, but you cant.
- The Mafiya: Saxon fights them at the beginning of the game.
- New Game+: After beating the game, you can replay it from the beginning, at a higher difficulty level, with all your weapons, items, and augs.
- Prequel: To Human Revolution as it takes place during the time Adam Jensen spends in recovery before the main events of the game, as well as to the original Deus Ex.
- Shout-Out: In the XNG Data Center you find an e-mail talking about a guy called Milton who just turns up but there is no record of his employment.
- Taste Of Power: The tutorial mission allows the player to have the stealth aug for free. Afterwards, the player has to work up to get it back again.
- The Teaser: The game opens up with the tutorial mission through the Russian Mob hideout and Ben's defection from the Tyrants before the title sequence.
- Whole Episode Flashback: The opening mission.
- Worst Aid: Increase your health by taking painkillers and alcohol! At the same time!