Video Game: Atari 2600 Indy 500
Indy 500, one of the Atari 2600's launch titles, is a series of 14 Top-Down View, Player Versus Player or Player Versus the Clock, racing or driving games, based on Atari's earlier arcade games Sprint 2 and Crash 'N Score. Game variations include:
- Two-player racing around a couple of track designs.
- Single-player racing against the clock on the same tracks.
- "Crash n' Score", in which players compete to crash into dots that appear randomly.
- One-player Crash n' Score against the clock.
- Tag, the player who is "it" chases the other one around.
- Ice racing, one or two players on an ice track.
Indy 500 provides examples of:
- Color-Coded Multiplayer
- Driving Game
- The Golden Age of Video Games
- In-Vehicle Invulnerability
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Player Versus Player
- Scoring Points: Crash n' Score and Tag.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: May be the Ur Example.
- Timed Mission: One minute for one-player modes.
- Top-Down View
- Wrap Around: The barriers are not solid walls; more like dirt or mud. This includes the outer barrier.