Trivia: The Long Goodbye
- Genre-Killer: Altman is said to have wanted this film to be, for the Hardboiled Detective kind of Film Noir. Didn't happen, though.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Elliot Gould is Phillip Marlowe;
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of Augustine's henchmen, though uncredited;
- David Carradine is Socrates, also uncredited.
- What Could Have Been: Altman originally wanted Dan Blocker (TV's Hoss Cartwright) whom he originally directed in early episodes of Bonanza to play Wade. Tragically Blocker died from a post-surgery complication at the age of 44. The film is dedicated to him.
- During filming of Mash, Elliot Gould and Donald Sutherland approached Fox executives about removing Robert Altman from the project, but decided not to go through with it. Gould admitted to Altman that he and Sutherland almost had him removed from the filming, but Donald Sutherland never told Altman about it. Subsequently, Altman never made another movie with Donald Sutherland.