- Most obvious are the tragic backstories of Sadako Yamamura in all continuties, as well that of Samara Morgan and Park Eun-Suh. All of them end up thrown down a well where they die and turn into Stringy Haired Ghost Girls.
- Sadako being abandoned by her mother who commits suicide rather than deal with her depression and humiliation from the media after a botched demonstration of her Psychic Powers.
- Sadako is raped by Jotaro Nagao, who discovers she is a Hermaphrodite and tosses down the well.
- Tomoko's death in the first chapter of Ring.
- Ryuji Takayama's death. He realises the tape must be copied, and then telephones his girlfriend Mai Takano, before dying of a heart attack.
- Spiral sees Kazuyuki's family die in a car crash but it is implied his daughter Yoko died from the Ring Virus beforehand. Kazuyuki then dies in hospital several weeks later.
- Mai's Family-Unfriendly Death in Spiral when she gives birth to the reincarnated Sadako and her body is found crammed into a ventilation shaft on top of her apartment building.
- Ryoji's suicide in Loop. After seeing Kaoru sleeping with his mother Reiko, Ryoji felt betrayed by both and ended his young life by leaping out of a window in front of both.
- Kaoru's emotional final phone call with his father, and his attempted call to Reiko.
- In Birthday, Toyama, Sadako's lover, reunites with Sadako before he dies.
The end of Ring 0: Birthday
. Sob. Even though the viewer knows
what's coming, it is still completely and utterly heartbreaking.
- The death of Reiko in Ring 2.
- Finding Samara's corpse in The Ring. Until Aiden gives his mom the mother of all What the Hell, Hero?'s. The discovery of Sadako's corpse in the original also counts (even though the sight of her skeleton - with her rotting skin slowly falling away from her skull - is very unsettling).
- The aftermath of Sadako's Roaring Rampage of Revenge in Ring 0. Her adoptive father, Dr. Ikuma, finds her, having temporarily gone back to her old self, lying on the floor, guilt-ridden and frightened, sobbing uncontrollably.
- Another example from Ring 0, just before the already heartbreaking final scene - after attacking Sadako and throwing her down the well, Dr. Ikuma breaks down sobbing, begging Sadako to forgive him.