You can't throw them out... they live here!
is a card game from Steve Jackson Games, designed by Jon Darbro and illustrated by John Kovalic
, that pokes fun at the geek lifestyle. Players take the role of a group of college-age slackers. Each player is dealt a random Job, which gives them Free Time (how many actions they can perform per turn), Income (how much money they can spend on Things or Activities), and a Slack Goal representing the amount of cool stuff they need to do (and buy) to overcome the stress of that job (from Slacker all the way up to Corporate Drone). Players can catch up on their sleep, play role-playing games (or computer games), watch bad TV, have nookie, buy food, booze, cigarettes, and other recreational drugs, invite people over (or send annoying people to the other players' rooms), and other crazy stuff. There are, one might guess, elements of Take That, Audience!
and This Loser Is You
Two expansions (Slack Attack
and Block Party
) were released for the game, as well as a number of spin-offs and variants, including Chez Goth
and Chez Cthulhu
. Not to be confused with Chez Dork
, which is a card game themed on Kovalic's Dork Tower
published by the same company and with a similar logo and geekish themes, but different rules.
This game features examples of:
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles: Implied by the "Anime" card, and the Anime Babe from Chez Cthulhu.
- The Alleged Car: Harold the Hoopty Car.
- Bad Boss: There's a card called "Bad Boss", which increases the amount of Slack you need to win.
- Big Eater: Hungry Girl, an uninvited guest who makes you discard Food every turn she's in your room. The Choad Warrior has a similar effect, but extends it to Booze and Weed as well.
- Calvin Ball: Not the game itself, but the Activity "Mutant Olympics".
- Ceiling Banger: The Old Man Upstairs really wants you to be quiet.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Games tend to degenerate into players screwing with each other using Whenever cards.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: The Psycho Ex.
- Elevator Going Down: In the "Elevator Nookie" card.
- Frank's 2000 Inch TV: The Wide-Screen TV.
- Gargle Blaster: Implied with some of the Booze cards, like "Old Ragnarok".
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: There are a vast number of Nookie cards that involve doing it in public.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: One of the four unwelcome guests - although this one can't be forced out as easily.
- Recursive Reality / Self-Deprecation: One of the Activity cards is for a "Stupid Card Game" that's clearly supposed to be Chez Geek.
- Right Through the Wall: High-scoring Nookie cards can force your opponents to discard Sleep cards.
- Shout-Out: A number of these...
- One of the TV shows is The Why-Files, alluding to The X-Files.
- Judging by the card art, the "Midnight Movie" is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- The flavor text for the "Role-Playing Game" Activity cards make reference to Dork Tower (Specifically the lines "Roll the dice, I want to see if I eat your spleen." and "I kill Gandalf!")
- Supreme Chef: She Who Cooks, a guest who enhances all food items in your room.
- The Slacker: That would be you.
- The Stoner: Weed is one of the many Things you can buy.
- Those Wacky Nazis: TV shows include "Hitler-Y Mysteries" and "Hitler Science Theater Y2K"
- Two-Person Pool Party: Seen on the card "Outdoor Nookie".