Wanted: Dead or Alive is an American Western television series starring Steve McQueen as the bounty hunter Josh Randall. It aired on CBS for three seasons from 1958-1961. The black-and-white program was a spin-off of a March 1958 episode of Trackdown, a 1957-1959 western series featuring Robert Culp as a Texas Ranger named Hoby Gilman.McQueen's character of Josh Randall is a Confederate veteran and bounty hunter with a soft heart. He often donates his earnings to the needy and helps his prisoners if they have been wrongly accused. Randall carries a shortened Winchester Model 1892 carbine, called the "Mare's Leg", in a holster patterned after "gunslinger" rigs then popular in movies and television.The 1987 film of the same title is a Setting Update of sorts starring Rutger Hauer as Randall's great-grandson, who is also a bounty hunter.
The series contains examples of:
- Always Gets His Man
- Bounty Hunter
- The Drifter
- Hand Cannon: the "Mare's Leg" in .44-40, despite the .45-70 cartridges on Randall's belt.
- Hanging Judge: "Miracle at Pot Hole."
- Lysistrata Gambit: "To the Victor."
- Sawed-Off Shotgun: Sawn-off repeating rifle actually.
- Unorthodox Reload: Josh would frequently flip-cock his "Mare's Leg".