Series / The Better Sex
created by Mark Goodson
-Bill Todman Productions in which two teams (six men vs. six women) played general-knowledge and survey questions, with one team attempting to bluff the other into a right answer. Whichever team knocked out the other won $1,000 and a shot at $5,000 in the Bonus Round
The show aired on ABC
from July 18, 1977 to January 13, 1978 and was unusual in that it had two hosts — Country Music
singer Bill Anderson
(who later hosted TNN's long-running game Fandango
), and former talk show host Sarah Purcell.
- Bonus Round: An unusual variant involving 30 opposite-sex members from the studio audience. Each team member was asked a question, which was then asked of the members as well. Any member could agree or disagree with the answer given, and they sat down if wrong. Play continued for six questions or until the entire audience was eliminated. Any left standing after six questions split $500.
This show provides examples of:
- Opening Narration: "It's men versus women in a battle of the sexes!" (portion of theme song gibberish plays amid vignettes of Anderson and Purcell "arguing") "Women or men, which is the better sex?"
- Pilot: Pretty much the same, except each team had seven people.
- Spell My Name with a "The": Invoked in the TV Guide listings. Normally, the magazine removes the word "The" if it's in the beginning of a title...but they realized that people might be (understandably) turned off by seeing "Better Sex" in the listings, so "The" was maintained.
- Surreal Theme Tune: "Hormonal Imbalance", by John Franklin Grimsley...which is male and females singing in scat.
- Transatlantic Equivalent: Despite the show's brevity, twice.