Series: Remember WENN
A 1996-1998 AMC dramedy about the staff of a Pittsburgh radio station in the 1930s-40s. Betty Roberts, an aspiring writer, arrives at the station for an unpaid internship - but swings into action as the station's main writer, and Hilarity Ensues.Mostly, as befitting the fictional medium, in the form of wordplay.
This series provides examples of:
- Beta Couple: Eugenia and Mr. Foley
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Series creator Rupert Holmes is most famous for his hit, "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" and slightly less famous for his musical adaptation of Charles Dickens's unfinished novel, Drood.
- Network Red Headed Stepchild: It's not hard to understand why a Darker and Edgier AMC would neglect to mention this earlier effort in the midst of Mad Men's, and later Breaking Bad's, success.
- Plucky Girl: Betty Roberts, bright-eyed and fresh from Elkhart, Indiana, arrives to a chilly reception by cynical staff - and wins them over by settling a crisis or five, however awkwardly.
- The Casanova: Jeffrey Singer. Of course he's supposed to be married, and of course he never stops flirting.
- The Voiceless: Mr. Foley, who makes a uniquely mighty racket - just never with his tongue.
- White-Dwarf Starlet: Hilary Booth either made it on the stage or almost made it, depending who you ask. She's never given up on reviving her career.