A half hour Private Eye TV show from 1958 that ran for three years, updating the Hardboiled Detective ideals of the 1930's with 1950's notions of jazz cool. It featured the crime-solving skills of the title character (Craig Stevens), who got equal portions of help and hindrance from Lieutenant Jacoby. He hung out in a nightclub where his girlfriend was the singer; the owner often provided tips and clues to the crime.Well executed, but mostly forgotten... except for the fact that Henry Mancini's theme music is legendary, and still popular today.The series is available on Hulu.
- Action Prologue: The episode's crime to be solved would take place before the opening credits.
- Chiaroscuro: Unsurprisingly, as it was shot in black and white and rather Noir in style.
- Leitmotif: The Instrumental Theme Tune becomes this for Bally's Spy Hunter video game.
- The Movie: Gunn (1967). There was also a made-for-TV movie made in 1989 as a pilot for a prospective revival series that didn't get picked up.
- Music of Note:
- No Export for You: It didn't get sold to British television due to concerns over its violence. (That wouldn't be a problem today.)