"Hello, and welcome to Good Game, the show for gamers, by gamers."Good Game is an Australian video game review show shown on the ABC that started in 2006. It originally starred hosts Michael "Kapowski" Makowski and Jeremy "Junglist" Ray, but early in 2007 Kapowski resigned and was replaced by Steven "Bajo" O'Donnell. Eventually, in late 2009, Junglist was sacked to make way for new host Stephanie "Hex" Bendixsen. They were joined by Gus "Goose" Ronald in 2011, who hosts other segments of the show. As well as reviews, it often includes Gaming News, a look back at the best and worst in gaming, a moment chosen to be a great moment in gaming and, inversely, finding a horrible game where they ask WTF? (What were they thinking?). It also stars Tracey "Rei" Lien, field reporter who looks at pressing issues in gaming, such as game art and even covering Child's Play in Australia. After Rei left to study in Europe, her segment was taken over by Jackson "Ajax" Gothe-Snape, and then by Gus "Goose" Ronald. It's basically everything that X-Play used to be, but better. Visit the forum. It's the largest in Australia, with over 140 topics and 280,000 messages all-up.In 2010 a spinoff began airing on ABC3, called Good Game Spawn Point which is aimed at younger gamers and features more G and PG rated games, while the main show now focuses on more mature titles. GGSP also features a Robot Buddy called DARREN, who was added for the appeal younger audience.Furthermore, two online mini shows spawned called Pocket, a daily show which features first plays, news, interviews among other things, and Well Played, a news show that focuses entirely on eSports. The two are hosted by Nich "Nich Boy" Richardson and Michael "Hingers" Hing, respectively. There's also a podcast starring mostly behind the scenes people that can be found hereAll of the above can be watched for free on YouTube here. You'll greatly appreciate it.
Tropes used by this series:
- Broke the Rating Scale
Hex: I'm scoring this with this picture of a tree, which represents whatever score inside you that it manages to evoke.Bajo: Well I'm going to go for a wispy breeze out of 10.
- Despite giving deadly serious scores out of ten on every other game, Hex gave Robot Unicorn Attack a rating of 8971 Rubber Chickens. Bajo was "...not sure how to score it after that." In the end show summary, it have Bajo's score as a picture of a purple unicorn head.
- When reviewing Dear Esther:
- Butt Monkey: Bajo.
- The Cameo: Hosts of At The Movies, David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz, make various hilarious cameos. Helps that At The Movies is on the same network.
- Continuity Cavalcade: For their end-of-year special all the hosts make an appearance, including DARREN who seldom mentioned on the main show.
- Cosplay: Happens on occasion. One ep of Spawn Point had DARREN as a Companion Cube, Hex as Red Link and Bajo as Sonic.
- Catchphrase: DARREN's 'chaaaarging myyyy LAAAAAAASER!
- Four Point Scale: The reason why the show switched to star ratings in 2015.
- Gamer Chick: Hex and Rei.
- Jerkass: One of the most memorable contributions from short lived side host Ajax was an instruction video on how to win video games by doing such things as pausing the game repeatedly, pausing to go to the toilet during tense moments, and generally being a jerk to the other players. Behaviour the show tends to otherwise discourage.
- Le Film Artistique: Whenever the team review artsy games like Bientot Lete or Naissancee, they don berets, the screen goes Deliberately Monochrome and punctuate the review with artsy nonsense in French.
- Nerds Are Sexy: arguably, just about anybody on the show.
- Averted whenever Bajo takes his shirt off. The forums explode with disgust at his hairy man-belly.
- One Steve Limit: literally Averted with the currents hosts real names being Steven and Stephanie.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The presenters use their Gamertags as opposed to their real names.
- Rickroll: Darren performed one in episode 7 when Bajo and Hex mentioned the one face review would be about Singstar.
- In episode 15 of Spawn Point Darren says that the Rickroll is his theme song.
- On a slightly related note, one night when Bajo and Hex were hosting RAGE they played this first, saying beforehand "This has gotten us through some tough times."
- Robot Names / Fun with Acronyms: Data Analysing Robot for the Ruthless Extermination of Noobs, or DARREN
- Show Within a Show: Totally Incompatible, on GGSP, is a Type 1.
- Zombie Infectee: In an undead-themed episode, along with reviews of Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Dead Rising: Chop 'till You Drop and House of the Dead: Overkill, Bajo is hinted to have become bitten, and shows gradual signs of infection throughout each review. By the last review, he has turned, and while not hostile, occasionally looks over at co-host Junglist in an interesting way, and even groans when he calls the phototaking system in Dead Rising stupid. By the end, he attacks Junglist offscreen, but he's all better by next week.