A Coming of Age Story
from Imagine Television
and Touchstone Television
, set at the University of New York
and focusing mostly on the Love Triangle
between the main character and her two on-and-off paramours Noel and Ben.
One of the strongest offerings in the WB's 1998 season, this show suffered a massive ratings
drop in its second season. Executives reportedly blamed the newly-shortened hairstyle of the main character (a drastic response to a harsh breakup), and WB executive Susanne Daniels famously said of the show, "No one is cutting their hair again on this network".
Early episodes featured a unique framing device, in which Felicity would record an audio tape letter to her friend Sally at the beginning of the episode briefly highlighting the major events of her past week; at the end of the episode Sally's response (voiced by Janeane Garofolo) would be played.
With declining ratings each season, the show finally ended after its fourth season. The finale (and episodes leading up to it) integrated a Clip Show
and Time Travel
, and then turned out to maybe be All Just a Dream
Created by a pre-Bad Robot J. J. Abrams
and Matt Reeves
, which explains a lot.
This show provides examples of:
- All Women Are Lustful: Felicity in the first season episode "Gimme an O!"
- Betty and Veronica: Felicity (Archie), Noel (Betty), and Ben (Veronica).
- Camp Gay: Javier.
- Captain's Log
- The Cast Show Off: Julie is a singer/songwriter/guitarist on the show, as Amy Jo Johnson is in real life.
- Characterization Marches On: Meghan, depending on your point of view.
- Clip Show: the series finale
- Dropped A Bridge On Her: Elena
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Ruby in "Truth and Consequences" makes it all the way to the clinic appointment, but can't go through with it. Later, in season 4, Meghan talks her sister out of having an abortion.
- Grand Finale
- How Unscientific!: In its final five episodes, the heretofore completely realistic show threw time travel at us. The producers were caught off guard at being given those episodes, and just decided to go for broke on any crazy idea that would let them fill that space.
- Important Haircut
- Love Triangle
- Not Quite Dead: Despite Elena dying and the rest of the cast attending her funeral, Elena shows up in the final episode. Production crew later explained that they had filmed an explanation tied into the Time Travel arc, but it had been cut.
- Although that wouldn't make sense either, as it was well established that none of what Felicity did in the past had any impact on the "prime" universe (for one thing, Noel was killed in a fire, and yet he too is still alive).
- Ostentatious Secret: Felicity's witchy roommate Meghan made a big issue of no one having permission to look in her locked box. In this case the box was used as a Running Gag and its contents were never revealed. There was a Something Completely Different episode styled after The Twilight Zone in which it was intimated that all the series regulars were actually trapped in a magical universe within the box.
- Quirky Curls
- Time Travel: Which turned out to maybe have been All Just a Dream.
- The Voice: Sally
- True Companions: Felicity, Ben, Noel, Julie, Meghan, Elena, Sean, and Javier are all basically one big extended family, a point driven home with season 1's Thanksgiving episode.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Meghan, despite being selfish, cynical, rude and brutally honest, grows to become fiercely protective of the much more naive and trusting Felicity.