We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
is an asylum-based panfandom spooky jamjar. Note: Please try to avoid listing tropes that are exactly the same as the implementation in the character's canon.
This work provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Linda. Kind of, maybe. The inmates once invoked Master Computer but so far it seems like there's no chance that'll happen.
- Anything That Moves: Prussiaaaaaaaaaa. Really almost to the point of Depraved Bisexual. Aside from the underaged Miku, Kouki, Ashura, and Gokudera, antisocial John Smith and Samus Aran, and his adversarial relationship with Medic, there's fairly strong Foe Yay with subjugated Poland, explicit feelings that Veneziana is totally moe, shameless attempts to invoke the Florence Nightingale Effect with Anne, flirting with Robot Girl Luka, and classic tsundere romancing Romano. Yes, that is a list of the entire cast at press time.
- Big Brother Instinct: Pretty much everyone, even some of the girls, has one of these towards Ashura. Prussia is also rather prone to developing these towards the younger folks.
- Blatant Lies: Anne is a pediatric dentist. Totally.
- Crack Pairing: The memes thrive on this, but it's not really happened much within the game itself.
- Crossover Ship: Kouki/Miku is the only one that falls into this category so far. They're as close to Birds of a Feather as you'll get within such a small game, considering both are kind-hearted Japanese teenagers with some unusual use of technology.
- Diary: A couple of the characters keep one for Recap purposes. Linda has one as well, though obviously it's not a diary.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: That incident with What Did I Do Last Night?.
- "She practically dragged me off to the nearest private room to tell me alllll about it. She was all, 'So I work here actually and I'd love to get to know you better on a horizontal surface 'cause Linda's a crazy ass bitch and I don't care anymore; I'm working independently.' [...] You doubted my irresistible and entirely awesome charms?"
- Dramatic Wind: Ashura can summon a dramatic wind, with any nearby flower petals, feathers, or little pieces of paper being caught up on it in a visually pleasing fashion.
- Fan-Art: Yes. The majority actually involves memes, oddly enough.
- Fan Nickname: "Catphones" is sometimes used for Kouki in OOC contexts due to his status as Hello, Insert Name Here in his canon. There is also of course the SJTs, aka the Skinny Japanese Teenager squad, though as mentioned below under Four-Temperament Ensemble, this is no longer completely accurate.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: A significant chunk of the cast comes from before the modern day, but the only ones who really had this going on were Prussia, going around in his historical uniform, and Veneziana, despite technically being from a later year than any of the other 19th century characters.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Skinny Japanese Teenager squad consisted of sanguine Takeshi Yamamoto, choleric Hayato Gokudera, melancholic Kouki Wakahisa, and phlegmatic Miku Hatsune. And then Yamamoto got dropped, and they became a rather less sanguine Power Trio, sometimes even referred to in certain contexts as the "angst trio".
- Freudian Couch: Invoked by Anne.
- Fridge Horror: The players kind of panicked when they found out that this would happen when Fuji and Katara got dropped and had last been seen after getting kidnapped by the orcs. Then they just ran with it, given the genre.
- Gravity Screw: The entire point of the gravity event.
- Ho Yay: As one might expect, the Hetalia cast is rife with this. Prussia/Romano is probably the most prominent, with a pretty explicit desire on Prussia's part to occupy Romano's vital regions and extremely tsundere behavior in return on Romano's part.
- Hyperspace Mallet: Veneziana is armed with a hyperspace Rolling Pin of Doom. Luka is also now armed with hyperspace tuna.
- I'm a Humanitarian: RED Medic seriously once proposed during the starvation event that they eat each other to cope with the shortage.
- Japanese Honorifics: Rather shockingly averted by everyone except for occassionally Ashura when referring to some of her missing castmates. Because it's CLAMP.
- Kick the Dog: Russia does this a lot, especially to Poland. Prussia also did this to Poland.
- Limited Wardrobe: Enforced - they only have three outfits each.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Over time it has become clear that Anne is one of these in her occupation. The RED Medic from Team Fortress 2 also has significant shades of this.
- Never Found the Body: Desperately invoked by the characters after the January purge resulted in about half the characters vanishing.
- Opposite-Sex Clone: The January-February event features these for everyone. Screw Yourself <strike>will probably not be featured</strike> is gloriously within the realm of possibility.
- Our Orcs Are Different: Tolkenian orcs appeared during the battle event.
- Pronoun Trouble: OOC, Ashura is referred to as sie/hir/hir. IC, everyone else refers to the child as he or she as appropriate to their understanding of hir situation... although a lot of the time it's just "the child".
- Reset Button: This resolution to the orc-battle storyline had a strong negative effect on the characters.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Miku, despite all efforts to the contrary, is this to the point where it almost needs spoiler tags. She is also rather surprisingly Three-Laws Compliant, to Gokudera's disappointment.
- Truth Serums: The classic fictional variants appear here, presumably justified by the more advanced medicine.
- Tsundere: Romano, Romano, Romano. Not always in a romantic fashion, but almost any behavior of his can be squarely classified as tsun or dere.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green-haired Miku, blue-haired Kouki, and silver-haired Gokudera.