- Added Alliterative Appeal: What a digital dummy!
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Even Kaiba's duel robot can't comprehend Duel Monster's needlessly complicated rules, so it decides to go rogue instead.
- Exposition Fairy: Ishizu is mostly just there so that someone can explain Yami's backstory.
- Expy: Kaiba's duel robot is one of GlaDos. With all of the obligatory references to The Cake Is a Lie that such an expy requires.
- Fingore: Kaiba ends up having his finger sliced off by his own helicopter (the decision to let Mokuba fly it was a poor one).
- Flashback: Yami demands one even when it's not necessary to explain anything. A disgruntled Ishizu responds by only showing the most useless flashbacks possible.Yami: You're just fucking with me now, aren't you?Ishizu: Indeed I am.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: "This goes way beyond leather pants, Tea!"
- It's the Only Way: In order to have a chance at beating Yugi in a children's card game, Kaiba must do the unthinkable: actually learn how to play Duel Monsters.
- Mundane Made Awesome: DUEL DISK SYSTEEEEEM!