- Ambiguously Gay: Bakura's gaydar leads him straight to Ishizu. Make of that what you will.
- Badass Biker: Marik, though the badass part is debatable.
- Because Destiny Says So: Marik gives this as the reason that he must take Yami's greatest power: the power to look good in leather.
- Everyone Hates Mimes: Yugi loses all reservations of hurting the person that Marik has brainwashed into attacking him once he finds out that said person is a mime.
- Geeky Turn-On: This will be the first of many moments in the series where Kaiba gets a boner at the mention of an Egyptian god card.
- Shout-Out: The episode opens with dubbed over scenes from Star Trek.
"Form of: an Egyptian homosexual!"
- Marik demands that Odion call him "The Skipper", and then tells him that he can be Gilligan.
- Yami voices his regret of letting Yugi read Twilight after he is accused of being a vampire even though he's outside during the day.
- Yugi and Yami reference Wonder Twin Powers during a Transformation Sequence.
- Waxing Lyrical: "Huh! Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."