Recap: Welcome To Night Vale Ep 7 History Week
"It is almost complete. It is almost complete at last. Welcome to Night Vale."It's History Week in Night Vale, and the usual news, which this broadcast covers Night Vale's foundering tourist industry, changes afoot at Night Vale High School and an update on the Night Vale Harbour and Waterfront Recreation area, is interspersed with factual segments about Night Vale's timeline so listeners learn can a little bit about what this friendly desert community was like through the ages.
Tropes present in History Week include:
- Adoring the Pests: Inverted; most people would consider puppies benign & cute pets, but here they are invasive pests. They have apparently infested the downtown offices.
- BFG: Until now, students of Night Vale High School were allowed to carry government issued Uzis and rifles. The school board has recently banned students from bringing firearms to school and put up metal detectors to stop them from doing it.
- Captain Obvious: Students with guns are more likely to use them than students without guns.
- Foreshadowing: All the talk about teenagers carrying firearms to schools and being part of paramilitary proxies to undercover militants remind one of Tamika Flynn's army of well-read student revolutionaries that became instrumental in taking down Strex Corp on the second listen.
- Literal-Minded: Cecil does actually give us a word from their sponsor. That word is "carp".
- Mind Rape: An unidentified individual has been telepathically attacking tourists. The tourism board is offering free puppies to anyone with information on this case.
- Politically Correct History: Averted.The protective steel barriers along curves in the road will be taken down to make room for some really lovely and provocative butcher-paper silhouettes of slavery-era self-mutilation, reflective of several centuries of slow genocide and dehumanization by Western imperialists, designed by contemporary art darling Kara Walker.
- Enforced in-universe. When Cecil begins talking about Night Vale's history in a less-than-flattering light, he receives a notice stating that he must report to City Hall for re-education.
- Settling the Frontier: The group of explorers who founded Night Vale were the fifth group to stop there; all the previous ones moved on to areas with more trees and water.
- Shared Mass Hallucination: The explanation the City Council gives for the Night Vale Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area, which definitely never happened and did not waste massive amounts of taxpayer money.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Cecil's history lesson mentions events from the year 2052.
"Today's Proverb: It must be 3:23 PM somewhere. Maybe space?"