Recap: Welcome To Night Vale Ep 25 One Year Later
Night Vale's one year anniversary episode: It's been a year since Carlos first came to town, and Cecil wants to commemorate the occasion.
Tropes present in One Year Later include:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Finally subverted for Cecil.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Carlos calls Cecil to the Arby's parking lot after his adventures.
Cecil: "What danger are we in? What mystery needs to be explored?"
- Book Ends: If you consider this the end of the show's first 'season', many of its lines are plot points that directly mirror that of the first episode.
- Depth Deception: The massive city deep underground turns out to be a tiny city a few feet down.
- Good All Along: It's suggested Carlos has realized this about Cecil:
"Sometimes things seem so strange, or malevolent, and then you find that, underneath, it was something else altogether. Something pure, and innocent."
- Heroic Sacrifice: The Apache tracker dies saving Carlos' life.
- Love Epiphany: Previously Oblivious to Love Carlos seems to have had one. Whether it's from almost dying, or hearing Cecil's reaction, we don't know.
- Relationship Upgrade: After a full year, Carlos returns Cecil's affections, and the two share a tender moment watching the night sky.
- Tear Jerker: Cecil breaks down on air when he thinks Carlos is dead.
"Today's proverb: Fun game: say “toy boat” over and over. Do it for the rest of your life. Retreat from society, and live on alms. Whisper “toy boat” as you die."