- Brick Joke: At the beginning of the episode, it's revealed that Mr. Burns ate a mini-cellphone because he mistook it for a lemon drop. A later scene has the phone fringing from him and Smithers shoving a stick through his throat to answer the call.
- Don't Tell Mama: Homer doesn't want Marge to know he failed to get the new job.
- Pun-Based Title: The episode's title is based on a slogan Delta Airlines used from 1987 to 1992: "We Love to Fly and It Shows".
- Song Parody: Homer requests Lionel Ritchie alter his song "Say You, Say Me" to "Hey You, Beer Me". Then he wants all the words to be "beer".Homer/Lionel: Beer beer, beer beer.
- Take That: According to a play that Homer and Mr. Burns watch in Chicago, Starbucks charges a billion dollars for a cup of coffee.
- Too Dumb to Live: After landing a plane, Homer decides to drive it to a proper place and ends up sending it to the sea.