- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate:Lenny: If you ask me, Muhammad Ali in his prime was much better than anti-lock breaks.
Carl: What about Johnny Mathis versus Diet Pepsi?
Moe: Oh, I cannot listen to this again!
- Deus ex Machina: The whole thing turned out to be a reality show. There was no murder and Homer was never going to be executed.
- False Confession/Heroic Sacrifice: Homer claims to be solely responsible for the murder so that Marge can go free.
- Last Minute Reprieve: Subverted. Just as they're about to execute Homer, the governor calls... to say that he hopes Homer is a squirmer.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: When Homer is talking to Carmen Electra.Carmen: Homer, my face is up here.
Homer: I've made my choice.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Chief Wiggum wouldn't take the necklace as a bribe. Because he could steal it later from the evidence storage.