- Bavarian Fire Drill: As it turns out, "cover for me" is indeed one of the most important lines in life, as even Mr.Burns will comply when it is said.
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate:Lenny: If you ask me, Muhammad Ali in his prime was much better than anti-lock breaks.
Carl: What about Johnny Mathis versus Diet Pepsi?
Moe: Oh, I cannot listen to this again!
- Deus ex Machina: The whole thing turned out to be a reality show. There was no murder and Homer was never going to be executed.
- Irish Priest: One visits Marge and Homer to comfort them before their execution, until Marge points out they're not Catholic. He then leaves, but crosses paths with Reverend Lovejoy, who is on his way to visit Homer and Marge. They get into a fight, forcing the guards to restrain them.
- False Confession: Homer claims to be solely responsible for the murder he known he didn't do so that Marge can go free. However, he then asks her to do the same for him, thinking that would get them both off the hook.
- Last-Minute Reprieve: Subverted. Just as they're about to execute Homer, the governor calls... to say that he hopes Homer is a twitcher.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: When Homer is talking to Carmen Electra.Carmen: ...Homer, my face is up here.
Homer: (completely deadpan as he keeps staring at her cleavage) I've made my choice.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Chief Wiggum wouldn't take the necklace as a bribe. Because he could steal it later from the evidence storage.