Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 1 Things Change
When mysterious robots attack the Turtles' lair in the sewer, they lose contact with their master, Splinter, and decide to go topside to meet up with him. However, the quartet run afoul of a group of street thugs known as the Purple Dragons and a swarm of ninjas.First appearance of Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, Splinter, The Shredder/Oroku Saki, the Purple Dragons, and the Foot Clan
This episode provides examples of:
- Establishing Character Moment: The Turtles show off their personalities and methods of fighting by the first quarter of the episode.
- I Can't Hear You: Mikey taunts Raph this way while he's locked inside a truck.
- Involuntary Group Split: The Lair caves in on the Turtles, separating them from Master Splinter.
- Mythology Gag: Leonardo's narration in the cold open describing him and his brothers impending fight with a gang, the description of their location, and clarifying they're not wearing costumes, is the exact same monologue used to start the original Mirage comic books.
- Narrator: Leonardo appropriately provides the first of the series.
- Scream Discretion Shot: When the Purple Dragon member reports to his master about his failure at the episode's end. Said master is Oroku Saki, AKA the Shredder.
- Walk This Way: Splinter says this to the Turtles. Mike begins to imitate his walk before Don whacks him.
- You Have Failed Me: