Recap: Taxi S 1 E 08 Paper Marriage
"Paper Marriage" is the eight episode of the 1978 series Taxi. This is notable for being the first episode of the show to center in foreign mechanic Latka Gravas, but most of all for being the first appearance of Jim Ignatowski (here referred as only "Reverend Jim").After not going to the immigration office in time, Latka gets threatened with deportation. So, the cabbies decide to get him in a "paper marriage" to a call girl so he can get his "green card", done in a quick ceremony conducted by "Reverend Jim".
Tropes present in this episode
- A Day in the Limelight: The first one for Latka.
- Breakout Character: The hippie reverend, more known as Jim Ignatowski
- Crapsack World: Latka's home country issues stamps commemorating barbed wire.
- Citizenship Marriage
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The first time Louie becomes this. Without him, Latka would have had to go to the "old country"
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Latka refuses to speak to Louie after he told the feds where he was hiding, even getting close to burn the money Louie offered him.