C.O.D.Reese and Finch must find a way to protect a New York cab driver when his number comes up and any one of his passengers could be involved in the impending crime. Meanwhile, Fusco gets pulled even deeper into HR.
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Angry Guard Dog: Do not mess with Finch if Bear is around. Bad things will happen to you.
- Conspiracy Theories: Reese and Finch playfully indulge in a little bit of this after Finch hacks the Cuban Government database.Reese: Don't tell me Fidel Castro is really dead?
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Fermin's reunion with his wife and son.
- Fallen-on-Hard-Times Job: Fermin became a taxi driver after an injury to his throwing arm ruined his shot at a professional baseball career.
- Grew a Spine: At the end, Fusco finally tells Simmons his opinion of both him and HR.
- I Was Just Passing Through:Fermin: "Who are you?"Reese: "Just a guy who needed a ride."
- Kill All The Witnesses: The Estonians seem to favor this method of fixing their problems.
- Shown Their Work: The stolen laptop is being offered for sale on a "darknet" site; Finch mentions the Silk Road online black market as one place he needed to look for it.
- Take That: Elias does this by sending HR on a wild goose chase and setting into an assassination which Elias has made sure will go completely sideways. He did this presumably to make a point about how HR abandoned him back in "Flesh and Blood".
- Truth in Television: "Cuba was a surveillance state long before the digital age."
- Working Title: "Hack" before being changed to "C.O.D."
- Incidentally, the meaning of the final title is never specified so there's some slight confusion among the fans as to what it actually stands for. Top guesses are 'Cash on Delivery' or 'Cause of Death'. Take your pick.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Twice: Elias does this to HR and then after Fusco passes that message along to Simmons, Simmons sends out info to take down Fusco.