Recap: Person Of Interest S 02 E 08
Season 2, Episode 8:
"I suppose anything is worthwhile when life gives you a second chance to be with the one you love."The Machine produces the numbers of a husband and wife, co-founders of a major publishing company, who have each hired someone to kill the other.
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Alone Among the Couples: Of the four main characters, Reese is the only one without a romantic plot-line during the episode, and his conversation with Carter while they're sitting in the car is interrupted before he answers her question about if he's ever thought about moving on.
- Arbitrarily Large Bank Account: In a flashback, Grace mentions going to Italy to see her favorite painting. Harold buys the painting, donates it to the Guggenheim Museum, and takes her there on her birthday to show it to her.
- Divorce Requires Death / Mutual Kill: averted
- Dumb Blonde: Very much averted.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Take a good look at the book being advertised by the publishing company throughout the episode. Do those characters look familiar?
- Grand Romantic Gesture: The birthday treasure hunt Harold arrange for Grace. AND HOW!
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Francie Swift from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Sabrina Drake.
- If We Get Through This: Daniel and Sabrina decide that they'd like to try and have another baby if they survive the mess they caused by hiring hitmen to kill each other. They do survive.
- Improvised Weapon: Reese shoots a hired killer with a nail gun—then tacks his foot to the floor for good measure.
- Love Interest: Cal and Rhonda are introduced as love interests for Carter and Fusco respectively. The episode also flashes back to the early days of Finch's relationship with Grace in 2006, which means that the only major character who doesn't get a love interest at some point in the episode is Reese (see Alone Among the Couples above).
- Mad Bomber: One of the hitmen plants a bomb on Sabrina's car and plans to detonate it while the car is on a busy Manhattan street.
- Moral Event Horizon: Finch speculates he might be approaching one when he wonders aloud is "maybe we should just leave the Drakes to their own devices" because they don't deserve his help. The main reason he decides against doing so is because there weren't any other numbers in need of their attention at the time. If there had been, he might have chosen to cross the horizon.
- Ms. Fanservice: Francie Swift as Sabrina Drake does this quite well, without needing to resort to over-the-top sexy outfits. Just a blue dress - a variant on the Little Black Dress combination. She is often seen as sexy by the public anyway.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry
- Smithical Marriage and Whole Plot Reference: Well, almost, at least as far as being an almost similar resemblance to Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
- Spousal Privilege: Daniel and Sabrina Drake invoke this.
- Stealth Pun / Animal Motif:Daniel Drake: We're sitting ducks here.
- You Can't Make an Omelette...: Intentionally misquoted by Reese.Reese: "Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to save lives."