Recap: Orphan Black S 01 E 04 Effectsof External Conditions
Sarah realizes that the clones’ survival is going to take more than police work. But tracking the killer threatens Sarah’s long awaited reunion with her daughter, Kira. As Sarah gets closer to the killer, the killer gets closer to the truth – the ensuing showdown threatens to expose her ruse as a cop.
- Abusive Parents: Angie, while the police are profiling the killer, suggests that Helena had them.
- Adult Fear: The mother of the little boy finds her son covered in blood (not his blood, Helena's) and learns that a serial killer was in her home while she slept.
- Arc Symbol: The winged fish on Helena's knife.
- Criminal Doppelgänger: Helena for Sarah, and by extension the rest of Clone Club. When a witness, a little boy, is asked to describe "The Angry Angel", he points to Sarah.Sarah: It's okay darling. I'm not her.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Helena gets her turn to pose as Beth.
- Dysfunction Junction: Felix points out that most of the clones have emotional/psychological problems.
- Emergency Impersonation: Sarah has Alison dress up as her to meet Kira and Mrs. S. while she hunts for the killer as Beth. Kira catches on quickly.
- Madness Mantra: HelenaNot Beth. Not Beth.
- Meatgrinder Surgery: The opening scene, where Helena tends to her wounds, is rather disturbing. Especially since a child was present.
- Mission from God: The killer's motivation.
- The Reveal: Maggie Chen created the clones, but we still don't know how or why.
- Take This Job And Shove It: Sarah quits Beth's job because it's getting harder and harder to fool Beth's coworkers.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Alison initially refuses to help Sarah by going to see Kira in her place, citing her belief that Sarah is an unfit mother, Felix furiously calls her out on it.Felix: Excuse me? Sarah is out there risking her life, playing cat-and-mouse with Killer Clone, so your kids don't end up orphans and you think that she should lose her child for that?