Recap: Orphan Black S 01 E 03 Variation Under Nature
Rocked by the revelation that she and her fellow “Orphans” are clones, Sarah just wants to get her hands on the money and skip town. But Sarah’s fake detective ruse stretches thin when the cops find the body she buried and assign “Beth” to the case. As Sarah closes in on the killer, the hunter becomes the hunted.
- Artistic License – Biology: Clones don't actually have the same fingerprints.
- Big Sister Instinct: Sarah slaps Alison for threatening Felix.Sarah: You point a gun at my brother again, I will kick the living shit out of you.
- Cloning Blues: Sarah and Alison especially.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: The killer has a back full of ugly scars.
- Idiot Ball: Sarah buried Katja in an active rock quarry, where it was easy for the police to find. Lampshaded by Sarah herself when she realizes the mistake.
- I Shall Taunt You: The killer leaves behind intimidating taunts, calls the police station, and leaves a doll's head resembling the victim at the scene of the crime.
- Heel Realization: Sarah stops short of taking her daughter when she sees how happy Kira is living with Mrs. S.
- Hired to Hunt Yourself: Played with. Sarah, as Beth, is assigned to find out who killed Katja, whom she didn't kill but buried in the previous episode. "Beth" is suppose to be looking for the killer, but Sarah is involved in the crime.
- Oh, Crap: When Sarah realizes that the police found Katja's body.
- Pet the Dog: Art returns the money after he and Sarah encounter the killer.
- Reckless Gun Usage: Inverted. When Sarah-as-Beth is given Beth's service weapon back, she's too nervous to even load it. Art notices and flips out on her for riding empty.
- Refused The Call: Sarah just wants to get things over with so she can run away.
- Room Full of Crazy: The killer's hideout is a mess and has Biblical quotes written on the wall.
- Samus is a Girl: The killer is female.
- You Will Be Spared: The killer decides at the last minute not to kill SarahKiller: Not yet. Not Beth.