Recap: Once Upon A Time S 1 E 3 Snow Falls
Season 1, Episode 3
I told you I'd find you. No matter what you do, I will always find you. Snow White:
Is this the only way you can catch a woman? By entrapping her? Prince Charming:
It's the only way to catch thieving scum. Snow White:
Aren't you a real Prince Charming?
Mary Margaret Blanchard: That's an interesting job: finding people. How did you fall into it?
Emma Swan: Looking for people is just what I've done as long as I can remember.
Mary Margaret: What made you start? Your parents. Henry told me that you're, er, were from a similar situation to his own. Did you ever find them?
Emma Swan: Depends who you ask.
Emma convinces Henry's school teacher, Mary Margaret Blanchard, to visit a comatose John Doe at Storybrooke General Hospital and read to him from the book of fairytales - unaware that something unexpected will happen - while the unexpected first meeting between Snow White and Prince Charming is revealed along with the beginning of their forbidden romance.
- Badass Princess: This episode establishes that Snow White was an Action Girl.
- Chekhov's Gun: Snow's necklace with fairy dust.
- Combat Pragmatist: Snow fends off Charming by hitting him with a rock while he has her pinned down. When he's being held captive by trolls, she turns them all into bugs.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): Mary Margaret attempts CPR on the comatose 'John Doe' in the forest. It works but it's because of the magic rather than the proper procedure.
- First Name Basis: Charming reveals his actual name to Snow: James.
- Foregone Conclusion: It's one that Prince Charming won't marry Princess Abigail and will end up with Snow White. In the present, things aren't so sure.
- It's also one that Snow won't use the fairy dust on the Queen, given how she's not a bug in the first episode.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Charming's ridiculously good aim taking out the Queen's henchman with a bow and arrow in "Snow Falls".
- Love Triangle: Sets one up between Charming, Snow and Princess Abigail. But quickly subverted as it's made obvious Charming isn't interested in Abigail - and we know he marries Snow anyway. But played straight when Abigail's Storybrook counterpart Kathryn shows up.
- No Arc in Archery: Charming's arrow work.
- Our Trolls Are Different
- Proper Lady: Princess Abigail. She's also portrayed as dull and uninteresting.
- Samus is a Girl: When Charming catches the robber, he pulls the hood down to reveal Snow.
- Signs of Disrepair: The "Toll Bridge" sign has a red "R" scrawled on it between the "T" and "O".
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Snow and Charming's first conversation.
- True Love's Kiss: The first instance of it happening in the real world.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Played with. Although Snow White is a princess, she's the 'commoner' in this sense (she's a forest bandit) while Charming is the royalty.