This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks a sign and yet no sign shall be given to it.Frank helps the Seattle police with a series of murders targeting mourners.
- Be as Unhelpful as Possible: Connor, the halfway house's trusty, is happy enough to tell Frank and Giebelhouse what a mess James is, but he lies to them about seeing him after the murders. Not that he really gives James much protection, and Connor himself is the actual killer.
- Comforting the Widow: James tries this, kissing the girlfriend of one decedent by his grave. She doesn't go for it.
- Exact Words: After his mother rejects him, James is asked if he killed the victims. His response is, "They're dead, aren't they?" There's a reason this falls a little short of being a confession.
- Here We Go Again: James continues to visit funerals.
- Missing Mom: Doesn't exactly help matters when she's brought back, either.