Recap: Merlin S 01 E 07 The Gates Of Avalon
The Gates of Avalon
Morgana wakes up in a cold sweat from a nightmare in which Arthur is slowly sinking underwater; a young woman standing over him with her arm outstretched.Arthur and Merlin are out hunting in the forest (with Arthur getting increasingly frustrated with Merlin’s clumsiness) when they hear cries for help. An elderly man and his young daughter are being attacked by bandits. Arthur jumps into the fray and begins to fight them off, with Merlin discreetly helping by making a tree branch fall on one of his opponents. As the last man rushes off into the forest, Arthur dismisses the tree branch as a stroke of luck and introduces himself to the couple. Their names are Aulfric and Sophia, and Arthur seems instantly interested in the latter.Back at the court at Camelot, Aulfric explains to Uther that their home was destroyed by raiders and they’re traveling to their family in the west. Uther invites them to stay in Camelot until they are ready to resume their journey, and Arthur and Sophia exchange a smile as she leaves the room.At Arthur’s behest, Sophia is installed into the room next to his, but as Merlin gives her blankets at the door Morgana comes down the stairs and spots her going inside. She recognises her instantly from the girl in her dreams and asks Merlin who she is. After learning that Sophia and her father are welcome in Camelot, Morgana goes to Gaius to tell her that she had a precognitive dream. Gaius tries to dissuade her and gives her a sleeping draught to induce a deeper sleep.In a campfire in the forest the last remaining bandit meets with Aulfric to receive his payment for the fake robbery earlier in the day. His complaints about the deaths of his friends are short-lived, for Aulfric quickly finishes him off with a bolt of energy from the staff he carries.That night, Morgana has the same dream of Arthur drowning at Sophia’s hands in the lake.The following morning Arthur expresses a wish to show Sophia around Camelot – only he needs Merlin to cover for him considering he’s supposed to be on patrol duty. Merlin is hesitant to lie to the king, but Arthur’s enthusiasm about Sophia wins him over. As the couple gallop out of the courtyard they are watched from an upper window by Morgana and Guinevere. Gwen encourages her to tell Uther about the dream, but Morgana is too afraid.
- Morgana: You know how he'd react.Gwen: You're his ward, he wouldn't harm you.Morgana: He hates magic more than he cares for me.Gwen: That's not true.Morgana: Would you care to put it to the test?
- Aulfric: You've not been gone as long as I expected.Sophia: We were interrupted.Aulfric: What happened?Sophia: I was nearly killed. For a moment, I felt what it would be like to die a mortal death. He saved me. Someone so weak, so feeble, saved me! I can't bear to be like this a moment longer.Aulfric: You won't have to. Once his heart is yours, the gates of Avalon will open once again for us and we can regain our true form.Sophia: I need a little more time.Aulfric: You must hurry. The physician can see us for what we truly are.Sophia: And he is not alone. The Lady Morgana. She fears her powers, but that will not keep her quiet for long.Aulfric: Tomorrow, you have to finish the enchantment, otherwise our chance to rid us of these mortal shells will be lost forever.
- Gaius: What do you know about seers?Merlin: Not much. They're supposed to be able to see the future, like prophets.Gaius: It's said to be an innate ability. Those who have it are born that way. Some aren't even aware that what they see is the future. It comes to them in their dreams.Merlin: What's this got to do with Sophia?Gaius: The night before she and Aulfric came to Camelot, Morgana had a dream. Sophia was in it.Merlin: Before she arrived in Camelot?Gaius: I've been watching Morgana since she was very young. And though I tried to persuade myself otherwise, I realised that some of the things she said she'd dreamt came to pass. I kept it secret from Uther, of course. The gift of prophecy is too close to the work of magic.Merlin: You think Morgana is a seer?Gaius: I don't think it. I fear it. Morgana said she dreamt that Sophia killed Arthur.Merlin: Couldn't that have just been a dream? Maybe the- the woman Morgana saw just looked like Sophia.Gaius: That's what I hoped. But Aulfric caught me in Sophia's room and, in a flash of anger, his eyes changed colour.Merlin: Who are they?Gaius: It's not who they are that worries me. It's what they want with Arthur.
- Aulfric: I come before you to plead for the chance to win passage back to Avalon and a life of immortality!Fairy: Your punishment for killing another sidhe is a mortal body and a mortal life. You will never be able to return to Avalon.Aulfric: The crime was mine, not my daughter's.Fairy: The gates of Avalon remain closed to your daughter. Unless the soul of a mortal prince be offered up to them.Aulfric: Thank you. An immortal life for my daughter is all that I desire, so I promise you the soul of the greatest prince of all. Arthur Pendragon! Muahahahaha!
- Uther: You're not planning on springing any surprises on me, are you?Morgana: Don't you think you should be taking this a bit more seriously?Uther: He's young, foolish and in love. Give it a week and he'll be chasing after the next girl that catches his eye.Morgana: Sophia will never let that happen.Uther: Do you bear a grudge against our guest?Morgana: There's something about her I don't trust. You've seen the way Arthur changed since she's arrived.Uther: He's a fool in love.Morgana: She's dangerous.Uther: Dangerous? To who?Morgana: Arthur.Uther: Why do you say that?Morgana: I just have a sense, a feeling.Uther: And what has she done to make you have this feeling?Morgana: Nothing, yet. It's what she's going to do. I don't know how to tell you this.Uther: Try. Whatever it is, you can tell me.Morgana: I've just seen girls like this before. They string men along and then drop them. I don't want to see him get hurt.Uther: I know you want to protect him, but some lessons we have to learn for ourselves. He'll hurt for a week and then Sophia will be forgotten.Morgana: I hope so.Uther: Are you sure there's nothing else behind this?Morgana: Yes, it's nothing.
- Morgana: I know you don't believe me, but I'm so sure it's going to happen. My dream's going to come true.Gaius: I do believe you.Morgana: I've got to tell Uther.Gaius: You can't.Morgana: I've got to do something, if I don't then Arthur will die.Gaius: You can't tell Uther about your dream. If Uther thinks you've got the seers' power, he'll charge you with witchcraft.Morgana: I don't have a choice. I couldn't live with myself knowing I'd let him die.Gaius: Wait. We've known each other a long time, you trust me don't you?Morgana: Yes, you know I do.Gaius: Then trust me now. Stay here and don't say a word to anyone about this.Morgana: But Arthur...Gaius: I'll take care of it.Morgana: Where are you going?Gaius: To find someone who can help.
- Gaius: She must never find out the truth.Merlin: Why not? She had a premonition that helped save Arthur's life.Gaius: And it could've cost her her own. If Uther ever found out, things would never be the same again. It must remain a secret.Merlin: Is she like me? Can she use magic?Gaius: No one's like you, Merlin.Merlin: But she has the gift?Gaius: For her sake, I hope not.
- Adults Are Useless: Gaius, to a point. Though he truly wants to help Morgana, he encourages her to keep her gift a secret and drugs her with sleeping potions. All things considered, this is probably not the best way to handle the situation.
- All Just a Dream: The opening sequence.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Merlin, more than usual. He ends up in the stocks three times in his attempts to cover for Arthur's absence.
- Birds of a Feather: Merlin is almost heart-breakingly intrigued at the thought that Morgana might have magic too.
- Bitch In Sheep's Clothing: Sophia. How can someone so adorable be so evil?
- Boom Stick: The Sidhe staffs.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Arthur
- Brick Joke: Just when you think the writers have forgotten about them, the Sidhe's staff turn up in later episodes.
- Cassandra Truth: Averted. Gaius believes that Morgana is having precognitive dreams - he just can't do anything about it.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Morgana
- The Fair Folk: The Sidhe
- Hey, It's That Guy!: In a case of Retroactive Recognition, it's Lucrezia Borgia!
- Hypnotize the Princess: Gender Flipped for Prince Arthur.
- Innocuously Important Episode: Though it's a standard Monster of the Week plot, the episode also reveals that Morgana not only has magic, but is a seer, two facts which dominate her Character Arc from here on out.
- It's also our first introduction to Avalon and the lake that protects it
- Pet the Dog: Sophia's tearful farewell to her father, when she admits that the only reason she did what she did was so that the two of them could be together in Avalon.
- Produce Pelting: While Merlin's in the stocks. To the point where Uther worries there'll be a food shortage.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The Sidhe, and then Arthur after he's been Brainwashed.
- The X of Y: The Gates of Avalon