Recap: Family Guy S 2 E 10 Running Mates
April 11, 2000
Peter runs against Lois for school board president after Peter's favorite science teacher is forced to take medication to level out his mood.
"Running Mates" contains examples of:
- Bait and Switch
Peter: I'm gonna stop you the only way I can...by killing you!'
(raises an ax menacingly, then hammers down a campaign sign with it)
Peter: ...in the race for school board president.
- Comically Missing the Point
Lois: Oh my God, he's wiping that species off the face of the Earth.
Peter: No, Lois, the janitor will do that.
- Double Meaning Title: Peter and Lois are a husband and wife running against each other in a political race.
- Eats Babies: Peter's political slander of Lois includes saying she eats babies.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Stewie fires his raygun at the Studio Audience.
- Hypocrite: After the first debate, Lois insists she had no choice but to humiliate Peter for her cause. After Peter's smear campaign against her, she is outraged he could be so cruel as to humiliate his own spouse for the sake of winning.
- However, this could be debated since Lois also says she didn't enjoy humiliating Peter, but Peter clearly did.
- Mistaken for Masturbating: Peter knocks on Chris's door when he hears thumping noises and moaning and walks in on Chris trying to break his paddle ball record. Subverted after Peter gives Chris some girlie magazines and leaves the room. He hears the thumping and moaning again — and it's not from Chris's paddle ball, as Peter has it in his hands.
- Mythology Gag: Stewie sings "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" a reference to Rex Harrison's performance in My Fair Lady, which was the inspiration Stewie's voice.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Lampshaded.
Lois: You humiliated your own wife! And for what? To get that crazy Mr. Fargas back in the classroom?