Peter is convinced a restaurant placemat is a treasure map, leading to an It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World-style rush to find the alleged treasure.
This episode contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Peter gives Chris a black eye.
- Chekhov's Gag: The cutaway depicting a commercial for a "Hurry Up Shrimp" food delivery service would be forgotten until the very end, when the Griffins get a knock on their door and Peter assumes it's the delivery guy.
- Also, Meg makes mention of her family walking out of the play she was in about the founding of Quahog. Later, Lois solves the location of the treasure by citing some history she heard during her ten minutes at the play.
- Heel Realization: Peter when he sees what the obsessive search for the treasure has done to everyone.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Peter and Lois get inside the closed Drunken Clam by setting up a Cutaway Gag to transport them inside.
- Jaw Drop: Peter's reaction to hearing the story of the treasure.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The "treasure" turned out to be a coupon from the Founding Father restaurant...which already expired.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: A cutaway depicts Peter's bad breath making an employee vomit nonstop.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Lois says this to Peter this when he punches Chris to get the treasure, causing the family to leave the hunt.
- Whole Plot Reference: The setup is a parody of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
- You Need a Breath Mint: Peter grosses everybody out with his "Dad Breath" until Lois forces him to see a dentist.