Eddy: "People used to be cool, now it's hot! We're hot!"
Double D (To Ed) "Do you feel hot?"
Ed: "Eh, I'm half-baked."Pop Goes The Ed is the third episode in the Ed, Edd n Eddy series, first aired in 1999.The episode starts with the Eds starting their "Hive-Bee-Gone" scam going horribly wrong, ending with Double D and Ed horribly swollen and stung. Soon after, a heat wave hits the Culdesac, and the Eds desperately try to find shade, to no avail. Fortunately, they hear about Nazz's sprinkler party, and Eddy decides to crash it, despite not being invited. He dresses the Ed's up in his brothers (incredibly tight fitting) swimsuits.The trio reeks havoc on the party, until one stunt ends with their swimsuits snapping off, leaving them naked and forced to hide out in the kiddy pool for the rest of the day. When the kids have a sleepover, the Eds flee in the dark of the night, only to end up with the bees nest from earler falling onto them, beginning another bee chase.
— The Eds after they don their swimsuits.
- Bee Afraid: The Bee's nest in the beginning and end of the episode.
- Big Eater: Ed, during the party.
- Brick Joke: The Bees nest at the end of the episode.
- Body Horror: Double D and Ed getting incredibly swollen from bee stings, and later on all three of their bodies soaking up the kiddy pools water, causing them to become very bloated.
- Catchphrase: Ed's "gravy" praise is first said here, when the trio is suffering from the heat.
- The Chick: Nazz.
- Disco Dan: We get our first real glimpse of Eddy's room in this episode, where it looks like it never left the 70's.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Ed sprays Sarah when she yells at him to "get [his] big butt off the sprinkler," making this one of the only times he stands up to his otherwise terrifyingly abusive sister.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Yes, the Ed boys do go "pop" at one point—their swimsuits, at any rate.
- Funny Foreigner: Rolf, in his first speaking appearance.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- The Eds have their speedos snapped off, forcing them to hide in a kiddy pool while they're naked and next to each other.
- "Ed has three nipples like the guy from James Bond!"
- Hello, Nurse!: Nazz, so much so that Eddy and Kevin melt at the sight of her.
- Here We Go Again: The ending.
- Jerk Jock: Kevin.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Eddy trying to claim himself as the life of the sprinkler party by showing him and Double and Ed off via a stunt. Cue their incredibly tight swimsuits popping off, forcing them to hide out in the kiddy pool, soak up all the water in it as they hide in it until late in the night, and then get chased by the bees from earlier.
- Lustful Melt: See above.
- My Life Flashed Before My Eyes: Ed says this when the trio is suffering from the heat wave.
- Naked People Are Funny: The Eds during the later part of the episode.
- No Social Skills: Ed and Double D display a spectacular failure at socializing when the two of them try to mingle with the other kids and end up grossing them out by going on about a monster movie and brain surgery, respectively.
- Off Model: There are at least three animation goofs in this episode; Ed's shoes vanish at one point, as does Double D's shirt when Eddy is running towards them. Nazz is also inexplicably topless from our first back-view of her, only to have her bikini on in the next shot.
- Out of Order: This is the first episode on the 1st season's DVD release.
- Shout-Out: Eddy, to distract Nazz, tells her that Ed has "three nipples, like that bad guy from James Bond".