Recap: Daria S 1 E 04
After a computer is stolen from Lawndale High's cyber cafe, it is re-positioned as a traditional coffee-house. Daria, threatened by her parents with Music Camp if she doesn't find some extracurricular activities, agrees to take part in the fundraising efforts, but they don't go well. Instead, she winds up getting roped in to performing on the coffee-house's opening night by reading a rather surprising short story.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Artistic License – Medicine: Mrs. Johanson collapses because of hypoglycemia, and when she wakes up, Daria refuses to give her chocolate, arguing it coud kill her. Actually, hypoglycemia means that she has low blood sugar (as opposed to hyperglycemia), so if anything, the chocolate might have been a good ad hoc treatment.
- Characterization Marches On: This is the last episode where the "Mr. O'Neill can't remember names" joke ever comes up.
- Door To Door Episode
- Genre Throwback: In-Universe with Daria's Cold War-esque "Melody Powers" story.
- Glad I Thought of It: Inverted, for the first of many times. Daria makes a sarcastic comment that inspires Mr. O'Neill to open the coffee-house, but he misinterprets it as being her intention.
- Noodle Incident: Daria apparently had a recorder, which her parents forced her to practice, until it got run over by the car. Presumably Daria left it in the driveway on purpose.
- One-Scene Wonder: Andrea makes her first appearance just to deliver a bizarre bitter poem.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Kevin asks both Mack and Daria why he should be interested in studying Shakespeare. After a moment of thought, both mention that "Hamlet has a skull in it."
- Teachers Out Of School: Kevin and Brittany happen to visit Mr. DeMartino's house while going door-to-door. He proceeds to conduct the discussion as if it were a Q&A session in class (i.e.: condescendingly).