Recap / Batman: The Animated Series E59 "Blind as a Bat"
The Penguin steals an experimental stealth helicopter and in the process of stealing it, Bruce Wayne is temporarily blinded by an explosion. Penguin demands a hundred million dollars or he'll rain bullets upon Gotham from the sky, a disabled Batman must now defeat the penguin somehow.
- Achilles' Power Cord: An explosion temporarily blinds Bruce Wayne. He carries on anyway with a headset that sends visual information direction into his brain and plugs into a power-cell on his belt or a port on the Batwing's main console. Naturally, the power cord breaks right before the climax. Batman still saves the day by determining the Penguin's location with sound (banging on walls, throwing wrenches, etc.)
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: One of Penguins mooks thinks the mayor complying to their terms sounds too easy. However, the Penguin brushes it off, stating they'll be prepared if that's the case.
- After Penguin witnesses Batman attempting to hide, he sees that Batman seems to be injured in someway and that this is the perfect opportunity to hunt him down and kill him. When he sees Batman is blind, he makes lots of noise in various directions to confuse Batman of where he is.
- Exact Words: Mayor Hill goes on television to announce that the Penguin has won, and if he returns the helicopter to the agreed drop-site, "you'll get everything that's coming to you."
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: When one of Penguin's goons questions if they might be heading into a trap, penguin replies that the helicopter will be able to spot a trap a mile away (literally). And then he takes out his umbrella sword, slicing off the buttons of the guy's shirt after each word.
Penguin: And if in fact this is a double-cross, may heaven, help, them, all.
- Reed Richards Is Useless: Bruce creates a headset that can send visual data directly to the brain; essentially a non-surgical cure for complete blindness. It's never brought up again.
- Single-Episode Handicap: Single-Episode Blindness.
- Technological Pacifist: The episode marks Bruce Wayne's first, last, and only time developing anything for the military. After the troubles that stemmed from that, Bruce declared that Wayne Corp would never develop weapons again.
- Temporary Blindness
- Title Drop: Said by Penguin when he realizes Batman can't see.