"How did you know who I am?"
"How could I not? You broke my niece's heart."
Feeling keenly responsible for the capture of the invasion forces during the eclipse, Sokka decides to redeem his honor by rescuing his father. Accompanied by Zuko, he takes Zuko's war balloon to the Boiling Rock, the highest security prison in the Fire Nation.
Going undercover as guards, Zuko discovers that there are no Water Tribe prisoners currently at the Boiling Rock, but Sokka discovers that Suki is a prisoner there. Zuko's cover is busted while he is standing watch to let Sokka talk to Suki and he becomes a prisoner himself. To make things worse, the warden is Mai's uncle, who is none too happy with the boy who broke Mai's heart.
Sokka, Suki and Zuko come up with an escape plan but are overheard by Chit Sang, another prisoner, and are forced to let him in on the plan. While proceeding with the plan, Sokka and Zuko hear that some war prisoners are arriving the next day and decide to let Chit Sang and his friends go ahead with their plan, while they stay behind with Suki on the chance that one of the war prisoners is Hakoda, Sokka's father.
- The Alcatraz: The eponymous Boiling Rock.
- And Then What?: Zuko asks this regarding Sokka's plans.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: A mild example, but Suki remembers Zuko as he burned down her village but he doesn't remember her at all.
- Foreshadowing: "I'd sooner jump in the Boiling Lake myself than let that record fall. Don't forget it."
- Genre Savvy: When Sokka sneaks out to take Appa, he finds Zuko already in the saddle.
- Great Escape: Making one of these is the point of the two-part episode.
- He's a Friend: Sokka has to tell Suki this regarding Zuko.
- Heart Symbol: Sokka gets this when he realizes that Suki is at the Boiling Rock.
- Hypocrisy Nod: While Zuko severely criticizes Sokka's Indy Ploy, he does acknowledge that in the past this was his signature move. It's excusable as Zuko has grown past that and since Sokka was The Smart Guy, he expected him to have also.
- Ice-Cream Koan: Zuko comes up with one of these when Sokka gets upset about the fact that there aren't any Water Tribe prisoners there.
- The Infiltration
- Orphaned Punchline: Zuko tries to tell Iroh's favorite tea joke, but he can only remember the punchline.
- Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard: It turns out that the coolers they put prisoners in are the perfect boats for the boiling lake.
- Par to the course of the show, it doesn't seem like the cooler had that much effect on Zuko, as he was able to firebend and warm the screws enough to take them apart. The dragon lessons seem to be sticking.
- Prison Episode
- The Bus Came Back: Suki