Throwin' Chat is an Australia comedy podcast hosted by comedy legend, acclaimed actor and musician, Darcy Rhodes
. And Geordie Mc Grath
also hosts. Essentially a talking podcast, with Seinfeldian conversations on a variety of topics, from Justin Bieber to U2, from Joe Dwyer to Billy Joel. Known for its irreverent wit, absurdity, and a very small but extraordinarily dedicated fanbase, which are known as the #Chat Ratz
. Has featured two-thirds of The Other Ones on the show, both as guest hosts. It is currently in its fifteenth episode, and going strong. Recorded at the local community radio studio.
The hosting duo began as a Red Oni Blue Oni combination, but has grown into its own special form. Often features ridiculous Rant Comedy.If you listen to it, there is no going back. Love it or hate it, the only thing you can't do is ignore it.
Actually, you totally can.
Throwin Chat contains examples of:
- Alpha Couple: Darcy and Geordie seem to be THE alpha couple of Triple Y Radio.
- Camp Straight: Geordie especially applies. Everything he does is flamboyant and effeminate, even down to the way he showers, but it is reported that he is straight.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Both, but in an interesting way. They are comedy and pop-culture based Cloudcuckoolanders, peppering the show with references and improvised jokes.
- Face of the Band: Darcy Rhodes is perhaps THE trope codifier for this trope in podcasts. When someone mentions Throwin' Chat, the common mind immediately leaps to Darcy and his humorous and incisive wit and comedy. Only the most hardcore of fans can name Geordie Mc Grath as the co-host, and to name a guest is unheard of. Reports suggest Geordie is so bitter about this trope he plans to kill Darcy, however, the media hysteria after 'Throwin' Chat' dies will probably stop him. He's also probably allergic to every weapon ever.
- Rule of Funny: The show often sacrifices any sort of continuity or even common sense for the sake of humour. The constant humorous spirals and improvised conversations are part of the reason Throwin Chat has such a dedicated fanbase.
- Running Joke: The show is built on these, the most obvious example being "My Wife!", which has become the screamed catchphrase of #Chat Ratz everywhere.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: The basic set up of the show. The two hosts discuss an enormous variety of topics, letting their imagination take them anywhere. Even if it's not funny, in which case a guest host will often get them back on track.