We make fun of the internet, I guess. Gee, that's hard.
"Terrible Things Read With Enthusiasm!"The F Plus
is a Mystery Science Theater-style podcast
that focuses on the more horrible aspects of internet culture. Every week, hosts Lemon
, accompanied by a rotating crew of Ridiculists and guest readers, read the weirdest or dumbest posts from a different website, forum, or blog, and make (mostly) good-natured jokes.
Needless to say, there are millions of jokes to be had about internet insanity.
- Adorkable: Portaxx.
- The Alcoholic: STOG.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Several of the readers are depicted as these in their avatars, or on Portaxx's animations, usually related to their username. For example, Boots Raingear is a boot, Lemon is a lemon, and Nutshell Gulag is a nut.
- Angrish: Appears whenever a forum post does not follow the laws of proper grammar.
- Break the Cutie: The entire Pokegirls episode was designed to break Portaxx.
- Crossover: The Hans Von Hozel fanfic Internet Computer, which received a dramatic reading on the show, featured The Beatles facing off against the antagonistic ABBA.
- DeadPan Snarker: Pretty much all of the Ridiculists.
- Call Back: With over a hundred episodes, readers will regularly refer to older podcast subjects when making jokes.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Readers Assemble!"
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The fact that this podcast made fun of TV Tropes for having dumb nonsensical tropes such as "crowning moment of funny" and yet some tropers still decided to add it to the podcast's TV Tropes page.
- Cute Kitten: STOG is depicted as one.
- Ensemble Cast
- Fetish Fuel: Fetish forums make up a significant amount of F Plus episodes.
- Fetish Retardant: For many of the Ridiculists, the same episodes that make up Fetish Fuel.
- Food Porn: Subverted in the All Recipes and raw food episodes.
- Furry Fandom: Exhibited in a handful of episodes and joked about in a lot more.
- Genre Savvy: The readers are all too aware of their topics.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: There are 13 regular cast members and another 14 guest readers.
- Love Spell: Both inverted and played straight during Acierocolotl's segment in HOCUS BOGUS!
- One of Us: Pop culture references abound in nearly every episode, and at least a few, if not all of the female hosts have been gamers.
- Only Sane Man: Victor Laszlo and Portaxx.
- Running Gag: Many of them, constantly.
- Sadistic Choice: At east once an episode, Lemon offers the readers a choice between two readings. Sometimes this leads to a But Thou Must situation, where the reading selection is already decided before the offer is made.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: "I've certainly never pissed in a jar." "Nope. And I have never peed in a Splurpee cup from 7-11." "I've never pissed in a Mountain Dew bottle— I don't even think it's possible."
- Token Girl: Only about a quarter of the episodes have more than one female reader. Lampshaded in the MRA episode.
- Trigger Happy: Isfahan
- The Unpronounceable: Acierocolotl. Even he doesn't seem sure how to pronounce it sometimes.
- The Voice: According to his official bio, Bunnybread is a disembodied voice who works a "voice whore"
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Many of the readings exhibit signs of this.
- Word Salad Philosophy: Time Cube and Godlike Productions, among others
- You Are Fat: Fat jokes are fairly stock ammunition in the Ridiculists' arsenal of snark.