It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Playing With: Wife-Basher Basher
: Chivalrous man defends women from men who hit them.
- Straight: When Bob hits Alice, Charlie steps in to defend her.
- Downplayed: When Bob hits Alice, Charlie asks him What the Hell, Hero?.
- Charlie is The Fettered following a code of honor and chivalry.
- Charlie is Alice's older brother. Woe betide the man who messes with Alice.
- Charlie grew up seeing his father beat and abuse his mother, and vowed to never become that kind of man.
- Inverted: When Bob hits Alice, Charlie steps in to cheer for him... Or even join "the fun"!
- Gender Inverted:
- When Alice hits Bob, Charlie steps in to defend him.
- When Charlie hits Bob, Kylie steps in to defend him.
- When Alice hits Bob, Claire steps in to defend him.
- When Bob hits Alice, Kelly steps in to defend her.
- When Barbara hits Alice, Bob steps in to defend her.
- Subverted: Bob hits Alice. We see Charlie Hulking Out, raising his fist... And then joining Bob in beating Alice.
- Double Subverted: He pretends to hit Alice. He's actually setting up for Ass Kicks You.
- Parodied: Charlie beats up people for wearing wife-beaters. (aka. Sleeveless shirts)
- Zig Zagged: Alice and Bob are fighting, and Charlie joins in the fight, first hitting Bob, then hitting Alice, and then trying to break it up.
- Bob does not hit Alice.
- Bob hits Alice, but nobody defends her.
- Bob hits Alice, and she defends herself.
- Enforced: Used to show that Charlie respects women, so that the female audience will like him.
- Lampshaded: "Hitting a woman in front of me? Bad idea."
- Invoked: Alice makes friends with some strong men who can protect her from people who try to hit her.
- Exploited: Alice goads Bob into abusing her in front of Charlie, so that Bob will finally suffer repercussions for his mistreatment of her.
- Defied: Bob only abuses Alice when the two of them are alone.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Charlie sees Bob pull Alice over his knee and spank her, so he jumps in and hits Bob...before the distraught Alice can explain that what was really going on was a Safe, Sane and Consensual SM scene.
- Charlie sees Bob and Alice brawling, and jumps in to defend Alice...but it turns out, Alice is both a black belt in taekwondo, and was the one abusing Bob, who was just trying to get away.
- Charlie understands the difference between BDSM and abuse, and only goes after Doms who don't play Safe, Sane and Consensual.
- Charlie decides that he will defend victims from abusers, no matter the gender.
- Played For Laughs:
- Bob calls Alice a rude name and Charlie steps in to defend her.
- Charlie, who is 100 pounds of skin and bone, steps in to protect Alice, who is 200 pounds of sheer muscle and a hand-to-had combat expert to boot.
- Played For Drama: Charlie is much weaker or less well-armed than Bob, and if he helps Alice, his childhood friend, he risks getting beat up by Bob too.
Back to Wife-Basher Basher