: A character uses one power (or a few powers) for every situation.
- Alice, a great martial artist, almost always uses her finisher techniques Dragon Impact, Phoenix Tempest, and sometimes the Starlight Explosion, to deal with her foes.
- Alice, a powerful mage, always uses her trusty Fireball, Freeze Ray and Lighting Bolt, not much else, to fight the baddies and to solve miscellaneous problems.
- Exaggerated: Alice beats inter-dimensional overlords, wins political debates, fixes electronic equipment and educates her children by Dragon Impacting the hell out of everything.
- Downplayed: Alice improvises her techniques/spell with different variants to suit them to different situations better.
- Justified: Alice sticks with what she knows, because it's worked in the past.
- Alice uses a wide array of attacks, and might even be a Master of None.
- Alice uses a wide variety of attacks on the same target.
- Subverted: Alice busts out a never-before-seen attack...
- Double Subverted:
- ...to use as a distraction while she uses the same Finishing Move.
- the never before seen attack fails and so she was forced to use her usual techniques.
- The heroes arrive at a local item shop, and this happens:
: "This Magic Armor is rather costly." Alice
: "Let me use my negotiation skills to get a discount!" Bob
: "What? I didn't know you had diplomatic abilities" Alice
: "Just watch and learn"
* Alice approaches the Shopkeeper and...* Alice
: "...DRAGON IMPACT!"
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice uses a fairly wide array of attacks, but nothing too extreme.
- Enforced: "Animation is expensive, people! Let's use as much stock footage as possible!"
- "Hey, I stick with what works!"
- When Alice is about to finish someone off, everyone shouts "DRAGON IMPACT!" along with her.
- Invoked: 'Fear the one that has practiced 1 kick a thousand times, not the one that has used a thousand different kicks once.'
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice learns a new technique for a climactic battle.
- Discussed: "Let me guess...you're going to use your Magic Blast again. Yup, called it."
- Conversed: "Isn't Alice supposedly a powerful mage? How come she only uses the same five spells?"
- Deconstructed: Emperor Evulz fights Alice enough to where he learns all of her moves, and absolutely curb-stomps her.
- Alice protects herself from eventual curb-stomping by using all of her moves creatively.
- Alice has the ability to gain power if someone else uses the same move as her.
When All You Have Is a Hammer
, you have to go back to that trope.