Playing With: Time Abyss
Basic Trope: A living individual or an artificial construct older than recorded history.
Back to Time Abyss
- Straight: Alex the Occult Detective meets Betty the Mysterious Waif who comments on his resemblance to the palace guard chieftain of King Alulim of Ancient Sumer. His investigation eventually uncovers hard evidence of Betty's presence during the Crucifixion, the Sack of Troy, the Exodus, and the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Exaggerated: Betty witnessed the Big Bang. Twice. And then some.
- Downplayed: Betty is pretty old, and has some very good memory, but she really couldn't tell you anything a knowledgable historian couldn't.
- Inverted: Alex meets Celine who looks like a teenager. It turns out, she Really Was Born Yesterday, pumped with Fake Memories, and will die of old age before midnight.
- Double Subverted:
- Well, she did major in history twice: in 2003 and 1787. Which in no way nullifies her affairs with Khufu and Ajax. And her Paleontology and Geology majors are from the Dinosaur University of Pangaea.
- Betty was frozen for most of her existence... but still conscious.
- Betty is a time traveler... who's experienced thousands of years of subjective time while exploring the past and future.
- Betty had a bunch of wacky adventures with almost every famous historical person.
- Alternatively, Betty is a slacker, and spent the last million years chilling. She knows very little of history, not much more than the Average Joe would know, because even though she was there, she didn't care.
- "Name: Betty* Date of birth: None, predates time *predates last names"
- Betty wakes up one morning to cheers and crowds celebrating as Emperor Justinian retakes much of Italy. She then falls asleep, and wakes up when Constantinople is being sacked by the Ottomans. She then wakes up again when the Battle of Gallipoli is heard in the background - and she shrugs it all off.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: All characters have reasonably human lifespans.
- Enforced: Betty is introduced solely to explain historical backgrounds to the target audience.
- Lampshaded: "You just wait until she claims to be Really 700 Years Old, man."
- Invoked: "I will be there long after you humans are gone, to tell the future masters of Earth about your fate".
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Betty gives up her one shot at immortality to spend a regular lifetime with her lover.
- Discussed: "Have you seen her eyes?" "Yeah, it's like an abyss of time. Creepy."
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: Betty remembers all these things, but Alex doesn't believe she was there for any of it. When Alex ends up time travelling to one of the events Betty said she witnessed, Alex thinks he sees her there but he can't be sure.
- Played For Laughs: "I had just finished puberty when the moon rose for the first time. But who cares about that? This is my cat, Muffins!"
- Played For Drama: Betty is horribly scarred by all the things she has witnessed, and has nightmares about them every night. Every night.
Back to Time Abyss