: A sailor who drinks alcohol.
- Straight: Captain Rumbeard is always seen with a bottle of rum in his hand.
- Exaggerated: Captain Rumbeard runs a party ship, and the entire crew must constantly engage in drunken debauchery.
- Captain Rumbeard drinks in one or two scenes, but usually does not.
- Captain Rumbeard stays sober when at sea, to keep his mind on the job. However, he cuts loose and parties hard in port.
- Justified: Being a ship captain is a stressful and lonely job, so Captain Rumbeard drinks to help cope.
- Inverted: Captain Rumbeard and his crew are all sober, but they make berth in a port town where everyone drinks.
- Subverted: Captain Rumbeard says he's going to have a drink, but in the next scene is shown drinking juice.
- Double Subverted: He then promptly mixes the juice with alcohol.
- Parodied: Although he is ordinarily a bumbling fool, when Captain Rumbeard drinks he becomes the world's greatest sailor, complete with a Transformation Sequence.
- Zig Zagged: When Captain Rumbeard is on land with his family he appears to be sober, but it is revealed that he drinks, but only when he is at sea. This causes the ire of his crew, who believe drinking is immoral.
- Averted: No one on Captain Rumbeard's ship drinks.
- Enforced: The show is sponsored by a liquor company, so Captain Rumbeard must be shown drinking to promote their product.
- Lampshaded: "Yarr, I loves me a good bottle o' rum. Yarr."
- Invoked: When Captain Rumbeard comes to town the innkeeper gives him rum, because he's a sailor.
- Exploited: The sailors on Captain Rumbeard's ship joined his crew because they figured being sailors would give them access to lots of booze.
- When Captain Rumbeard comes to town, the townsfolk close down the bars to stop him from drinking.
- "Yarr, if'n I catch one of ye scurvy wags imbibin' on duty ye'll be chained to the mast and given 40 lashes."
- Discussed: "Sailors like Rumbeard sure love to drink, don't they?"
- Conversed: "Yarr, I'm so drunk I could be a sailor in one o' those books. Oh, wait..."
- Deconstructed: Captain Rumbeard is an alcoholic whose constant drunkenness makes it impossible for him to competently run his ship, and puts his crew in danger.
Back to The Drunken Sailor